Author Topic: tomato  (Read 4714 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: tomato
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 09:58:40 am »
Is there a chance the tomato would drop the pH so low that the yeast couldn't deal with it?

Remember, with water chemistry adjustment we can surmount the pH problem.  The question is: will it improve the taste to the point of making it worth it?

Very true on BOTH points, Martin!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beerstache

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 03:35:45 pm »
I came to this topic late but want to add some info you all might be interested in.  I live in Northern Michigan and I went to a beer dinner at Short's brewing in Bellaire, MI and he had a Tomato beer he called "Bloody Beer" and it was remarkably good if you like bloody mary's.  Here's Joe Short's description:  Specialty beer fermented with roma tomatoes, tellichery pepper, celery seeds, fresh horseradish & dill.  That's all I know.  I dont know if he only put tomatoes in the ferm. or added any in the mash, or boil, you would have to experiment to find out what works best.

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 07:33:33 pm »

I drank a bloody beer last week, and I can second that it was fantastic!  It is certainly not like a pale ale or stout by any means... but it was good.  It was great paired with roasted pepper hummus.

The dill character was very important, and I think the horseradish balanced the tomato similar to how hops would balance a normal beer.  I agree, though, it is more like a bloody marry than a typical beer.
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 10:19:28 am »
so I like red beers, or bloody beers what ever you want to call it a beer with tomator juive in it. And that gave me a idea could you use tomatoes or tomato juice in brewing up a brew?

if you can where and how can you use it?

I have brewed what you are talking about.  And so far, everyone has liked it.  (I'll bring a bottle to San Diego for you Tom, LOL) 

But I did not ferment the tomatos.  We brewed an english bitter, and made a home made bloody mary mix.  Tested out different concentrations with SNPA.  We then added to the keg just before force carbination.  If you like Bloody Mary's, you will like this beer.  It's a bit on the spicy side, but some folks like that. 

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2011, 10:24:49 am »
so I like red beers, or bloody beers what ever you want to call it a beer with tomator juive in it. And that gave me a idea could you use tomatoes or tomato juice in brewing up a brew?

I have brewed what you are talking about.  And so far, everyone has liked it.  (I'll bring a bottle to San Diego for you Tom, LOL) 

But I did not ferment the tomatos.  We brewed an english bitter, and made a home made bloody mary mix.  Tested out different concentrations with SNPA.  We then added to the keg just before force carbination.  If you like Bloody Mary's, you will like this beer.  It's a bit on the spicy side, but some folks like that. 
I would definitely try your chelada Mic.  If you're checking a bag feel free to bring me a bottle :)  But don't check a bag just for that.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2011, 10:32:18 am »

I would definitely try your chelada Mic.  If you're checking a bag feel free to bring me a bottle :)  But don't check a bag just for that.

I'm actually shipping a half case down their via FedEx.  I hBringing some NW ales down to share with folks I meet from other areas.  And, I'll ship  some local SD beers back home to sequim.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2011, 11:37:30 am »
I'm actually shipping a half case down their via FedEx.  I hBringing some NW ales down to share with folks I meet from other areas.  And, I'll ship  some local SD beers back home to sequim.
I wouldn't waste the space on a bottle of that though, ship something else good.  :)

Why are you shipping it though?  If you are passing your kegs along to Meek or Tanner, pass the bottles to them at the same time, they can get them down there for you and bring some back as well.  There should be plenty of room, and it will be much cheaper than Fedex.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2011, 11:44:51 am »
Well, I had thought of that, but didn't want to "press my luck."  Thanks for the heads up. 

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2011, 11:49:01 am »
Double check to make sure they have space, but based on what they were saying it shouldn't be a problem.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline darkmorford

• Cellarman
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2011, 10:41:44 pm »
Whatever you do, don't forget to dry-hairball it. Borrow a friend's cat if you don't have one.