Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rocket City Brewfest!!  (Read 3863 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Rocket City Brewfest!!
« on: May 13, 2011, 12:16:28 pm »
Welp - I'm off to attend my first RCBF in a few minutes. Should be fun talking to people and promoting my beers and such. If any of you is from the forum stop by my tent and I'll give you a free T-shirt. 8)

http://rocketcitybrewfest.com/

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Re: Rocket City Brewfest!!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 10:54:04 pm »
I was in "a" tent this afternoon. Does that count? I'll pm you my address if it does.  ;D
  Congrats again, and hope you have a great time.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 12:53:02 am »
Too bad it isn't in Houston. Worth an overnight trip. Anyway WooHoo Yellowhammer Brewing! Here's the breweries represented. You're in there with the big boys...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 08:00:43 am »
Out of all the breweries represented the local beers by far had the longest lines. We were right next to Cigar City and you could walk right up for a Jai Ali or Sea Bass (Yumm! that stuff rocks!) but people were waiting in super long lines for the local stuff - and I was told by several people that we had the longest lines of all. When we tapped our "Dark Hammer" Belgian Quad at 5:30 people thronged and we kicked the keg in about 45 minutes (that's with 2 oz pours). When the keg blew I was wondering if we were going to have a riot on our hands. Luckily we swapped out with the UberAlt (sticke alt) and that seemed to placate most. We were also pouring our standard IPA, Belgian White, Saison Summer, Miracle Worker Tripel, and our single hop/single malt IPA "Lonesome Hop". Sadly our marked kegs of Hop Revival IIPA got lost and we lost all our Yellowhammer AltBier in the power outage.

Pretty awesome event. Gonna try to supply the Nashville brewfest next year. Oh, and sorry weaze, sold out of shirts. But I will put some up on the website soon for ya.  ;)

I'll post pictures when I get them.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 08:50:36 am by majorvices »

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 09:26:28 am »
  Can't imagine the feeling of pride you must have. Really happy for ya, but still insanely jealous. Love the name "Lonesome Hop". Great Lonesome Dove reference. My favorite book of all time. I might have to name one of mine that, in honor of you, and Guss.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 12:52:15 pm »
Welp - I'm off to attend my first RCBF in a few minutes. Should be fun talking to people and promoting my beers and such. If any of you is from the forum stop by my tent and I'll give you a free T-shirt. 8)

http://rocketcitybrewfest.com/

Good Luck Keith!  8)

Let us know how it goes.
Ron Price

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 01:07:41 pm »
Good Luck Keith!  8)

Let us know how it goes.

Ummm, judging by his post this morning, the fest was yesterday.
Joe

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 06:29:34 am »
Friday and saturday, actually. I am still recovering - and not from excessive alcohol. Didn't even drink on Friday night (aside from a couple pours of bourbon when I got home) but from all the running my mouth and shmoozing. Lots of fun. Met a bunch of homebrewers, and one guy from the Northern Brewer forum but no one from here.

Anyway, here's a few pics and then I'll shut up about it. And Weaze, don't get jealous. Just open a brewery. It's lots of work but once you get started it is amazing how much support you will get.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 10:33:34 am »
That's awesome, congratulations! :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 10:39:10 am »
Great job Keith!   :)
Ron Price

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 12:28:21 pm »
Anyway, here's a few pics and then I'll shut up about it. And Weaze, don't get jealous. Just open a brewery. It's lots of work but once you get started it is amazing how much support you will get.

Believe it or not, I actually have a financial backer who is really pushing me hard to do it. I am justnot ready for it yet. Only been doing this for 3 years, and still have so much to learn. But, honestly, I could really give the brewery hhere in Pocatello a run, at the point I am at now. Not being biased, but my beer really is better. I still need a few more years on me to feel comfortable. But, maybe someday Rocky Mountain Buckeye will be the real deal. I really look up tp you, to see a guy just like me (minus the kilt) can start off just like I did, and evenntually go big time. Gives me inspiration, and hope.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 12:32:31 pm »
For what it's worth, it might take you a few years to get it off the ground anyway.  If you've got the backing, go for it.  You can work on your recipes at home while everything else is going on.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 02:28:05 pm »
If I ever did do it, I would prefer to start by sellings kegs to bars and resturants, etc....Then, from there go all brew pubbie. To me, it just seems like an easier transition. That way, I'm not trying to brew, run a resturant, get entertainment and run a business all at once. Give me chance to get my brewing down first.
  Speaking of, Major, what kind of food do you have at your place, and what kind of acts do you get in?

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 02:36:28 pm »
Nice work!  Seeing this only keeps my little dream alive of someday running my own brewery. ;)
Dan Chisholm

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 02:42:10 pm »
If I ever did do it, I would prefer to start by sellings kegs to bars and resturants, etc....Then, from there go all brew pubbie. To me, it just seems like an easier transition. That way, I'm not trying to brew, run a resturant, get entertainment and run a business all at once. Give me chance to get my brewing down first.
  Speaking of, Major, what kind of food do you have at your place, and what kind of acts do you get in?

It's just a distributing brewery, not a pub. Too many laws in Alabama to run a brewpub. 1# you have to have your brewery in a historic building that was once a brewery.... ::) I won't go into the rest, that one is stupid enough.