Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Love sharing my beer, BUT....  (Read 22742 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Love sharing my beer, BUT....
« on: May 13, 2011, 11:02:49 pm »
 People are just really starting to abuse this. I'll tell you my deal, then you can all decide if I'm just being a jerk, and need to settle down.
My beer has gone over very well here in Idaho. Like most homebrewers, I love to share my beer. That's a huge part of he reason I brew. To see others enjoy it. Is there anything better than sitting with your buddies, and enjoying beer you made with them? But, people are really hitting the taps hard here. THey come and sit and drink all evening, which is ok, I invite them over to play some poker and drink. But now, I just have people showing up at the house with growlers to fill. I mean drop in fill a growler, go home. Makes me feel good that they like it, but dude! I'm not a brew pub. This stuff ain't free. It takes time and money. I love to share, but don't just use me as your personal micro brew. Am I just being a jerk, or do I have a valid complaint? If so, what to do?
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
Re: Love sharing my beer, BUT....
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 11:08:42 pm »
I think it's them being the jerks, expecting free beer just because they show up.  I don't mind giving a couple of bottles, but you gotta draw the line somewhere. As homebrewers, we can't charge for our beer, but maybe accepting donations for the ingredients? If someone comes by simply for a free refill, tell them you're tapped out, and the next batch is a little while out...
Or ask them to buy the ingredients, and you'll brew the beer for them?
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 11:16:03 pm »
Save a batch or two of infected beer and swap the keg in anticipation? 8)

I'd confront the drink and dash crowd. Explain that is it not a free hobby and it does take
an investment of time and money on your part. You appreciate a good beer enthusiast but
a freeloader, not so much.

Maybe offer the opportunity for them to buy a "kit" or ingredient list and have them brew the
beer on your system. If they buy the kit, hell even have them buy their own keg(or keg system).
Offer to brew it for them, if they want to continue to have "free" beer, they need to contribute
to the hobby in one way or another.

I have heard of a brewer leaving out a tip jar... :-\
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 11:28:20 pm »
Did you invite them to stop by anytime for a growler?  Maybe one night while you were playing poker and drinking?  It has to be asked. ;D

You're not out of line, but you need to be clear with them that just because you didn't buy it doesn't mean it was free.  If you don't want to ask for cash, you can always post the price of the batch or a list of things you need, especially with your build coming up.

What you really need is a brewing website with a registry.  You can sign up for malt, hops, and yeast, and they can go buy it for you. ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 11:51:48 pm »
We had a similar problem with strangers showing up to our keg parties which was cool but some arrived with growlers and went straight for the kegs. Once we noticed it was like f*ck off dude and they left talking smack but without beer. ;D

If your bros are abusing your good nature it would be better to tap the brakes on it and let them know they need to pitch in or better yet offer to show them how to brew. If they get good you can go over and drink their brew and maybe walk out with a growler on occasion.

Being straightforward is better than slowly garnering some awkward resentments towards your guests.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 06:56:05 am »
You're not out of line.  You should ask them to mow your lawn or something if they just want to pick up beer.

Buying you ingredients is the cool thing to do.  A tip jar is OK, but some authorities might think that is selling beer.

But if they show up just for your beer and not to see you, then I'd rethink whether those people are really your friends.

Keep any failures or past-prime kegs for the mooches.  Save your A game for your real friends.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

ccarlson

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 07:00:45 am »
Lock your doors and close the blinds.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 07:01:38 am »
I can't even imagine people pulling a stunt like that.  I always have people asking me to bring them some of my beers but I flat out tell them they're welcome to come sit in the yard and have a beer with me but I don't do take out.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 07:08:45 am »
Run off some third runnings, pitch a pack of dried yeast, ferment it at 90F, then hit it with a mix stir after it's done fermenting before you keg it.  Mooch beer.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 07:11:00 am »
I'm always offering beer for people to take home when they visit, but I don't have them showing up with growlers to fill and then just taking off. That's just rude. I'd just tell them you're running low, but if they want to pick up some ingredients, you can teach them to brew, or even offer to brew it for them.
Mark Gres

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 07:20:14 am »
Wohoo!!!  Weaz has Free Beer!  Word is out.... ;)  I like corkybstewart's idea about keeping the beer on your premises, unless you decide to transport it.

Here's another thought...

Weaz.. "Look guys. This is getting a little pricey for me. I have a few beers I'd like to try. How about we trade some of those for some of mine from now on?" 

Then give them your list. ;D 

Moochers.. "Ya, sure, no problem. See ya later Weaz..."
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

narvin

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 07:46:58 am »
Filling growlers without asking is over the line.  Period.  If you have extra, you'll offer; otherwise, no take out beer!

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 07:49:44 am »
Weazle, I feel you man!!  Fortunately most of my friends don't abuse it and actually have helped finance many of my brews.  Here are some things I did to help squelch mooching!  First off...I don't sell beer!

1.  I brewed a bunch of beer and had a tasting party - donations accepted  (This raised enough money to start brewing ten gallons so I would have to brew less for those few who abuse it.)

2.  I bought several growlers and people again donated for the fill ups.  They can fill it up and leave, but not without donating.

3.  Keep the really good beer I like on a picnic tap inside the fridge where most people don't look!!!

You could just tell them man, it's your house and if they're good enough friends, they'll want to help you out.

Quote from: narvin

link=topic=7491.msg91790#msg91790 date=1305380818
Filling growlers without asking is over the line.  Period.  If you have extra, you'll offer; otherwise, no take out beer!

AO!
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 08:03:25 am »
Thanks for all the suggestions. I feel better now. Was not sure if it was just Eastern coming out in ime or what. Huge culture difference here in Pocatello, than what I am used to. People are so laid back here, and the hospitality show is so different than what I am used to. I mean, people just show up at others at dinner time, and no one thinks a thing of it. As far as people poping in and out for a growler fill up, I'm sure they think nothing of it. In fact, if they had beer on tap, they would not think twice if I stopped by their pace for a fill up. But, I was no raised that way. I'm Easternized. Think I'm gonnahave to lay down some rules.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 08:45:51 am »
I agree it's not acceptable unless you offer it to them.

I guess for me, it's not so much the cost, it's the time that I put into a good beer. I have never really added up the hours of brewing, racking, kegging, cleaning and so on, but I wouldn't be surprised if I put in close to ten hours on a batch of ale and a few more on a Pils.

It's always a little sad to have an empty keg that once had great beer in it, it's worse when a moocher takes a half gallon of it.

Good luck Weaze