Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Love sharing my beer, BUT....  (Read 22743 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Love sharing my beer, BUT....
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 09:12:41 am »
I'd say you're right on track, buddy.  Lay down some rules to weed out the moochers.  I'm sad that no one really asks for my beer because I think it's pretty good and have been told it's good, but I guess people get the impression from me that I won't give them any or something...I don't know.  Recently I've started giving people bombers of my current beers just to spread the love and they're always appreciative.  I wouldn't be happy if they were always coming over wanting growlers filled though.  I suppose if it was my dad than I'd be cool with that, but if it's more than like 1 or 2 people, then the foot needs to be put down.
Jesse

narvin

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 09:45:45 am »
It sounds like they're all generous people... I would just explain that you're going to run out of beer!  Limits benefit everyone.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2011, 09:46:58 am »
Maybe they don't really like it and just think they're being nice to you by taking it.  The only way to know for sure would be to taste it.  Send me a couple growlers and I'll get back to you. :)

Just go over to their house and take something you'd like.  Power tools, food, car...whatever.  

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2011, 10:21:05 am »
You could always wait until one of them has a BBQ or a party and has some type of delicious food available, then show up the next day with takeout containers and ask for some more of it, then leave. Do it the next day too or until they get the hint.

If you really want to be passive-agressive about it you could make up a sign that says:

The Beer is Free, but the Ingredients are NOT!

And hang it near wherever you fill the growlers. This just might be the graphics guy in me talking but you could always print that up on a business cards and hand them out with free refills.

Tony

Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2011, 10:50:42 am »
To my way of thinking, it's not even the cost of ingredients that would tick me off.  That's not that big a deal.  It's the time I have to find to brew it that's really invaluable.  I kinda like Gordon's idea of telling them if they mow your lawn, you'll have time to brew.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2011, 11:49:22 am »
To my way of thinking, it's not even the cost of ingredients that would tick me off.  That's not that big a deal.  It's the time I have to find to brew it that's really invaluable.  I kinda like Gordon's idea of telling them if they mow your lawn, you'll have time to brew.

Yup. Barter. They don't want to barter? You become the beer nazi. No beer for you!  ;)
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2011, 12:11:54 pm »
You could always wait until one of them has a BBQ or a party and has some type of delicious food available, then show up the next day with takeout containers and ask for some more of it, then leave. Do it the next day too or until they get the hint.

If you really want to be passive-agressive about it you could make up a sign that says:

The Beer is Free, but the Ingredients are NOT!

And hang it near wherever you fill the growlers. This just might be the graphics guy in me talking but you could always print that up on a business cards and hand them out with free refills.

Tony

I do have a sign that says "Free Beer Tomorrow" over my kegerator.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2011, 12:19:46 pm »
I saw the same sign at a small brewpub(Lake Superior Brewing Co) in Grand Marais, MI, my favorite snowmobiling destination. I told the bartender: I was here yesterday, I'm ready for free beer! It didn't work...  :'(
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2011, 12:22:09 pm »
I don't know how many of you will remember, but back in the 70s there was a band called Free Beer.  It was great to see posters advertising them playing at bars.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline centpa

• 1st Kit
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2011, 12:39:02 pm »
If you like these people, invite them to come and help you brew, show them how to go through the steps, and split the batch with them.  That way they'd appreciate the time investment, because most people when they first hear I make beer, they think it's instantaneous like baking a cake, not realizing how long it takes from beginning to end, including the clean-up, the bottle washing and santizing and filling.

I did that with some of my friends who drank the most of my beer and we formed a club of sorts and brewed several batches together.  Now two of the four other guys are brewing their own, and I'm not under the pressure of supplying anymore.

Sharing your beer is great, but if people are starting to abuse, you have to draw some kind of line.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2011, 01:03:08 pm »
3.  Keep the really good beer I like on a picnic tap inside the fridge where most people don't look!!!

Or, have magnetic signs like I have, and pull the one over the beer you want to save..... "Uh, yeah, that kicked....."  ;D
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2011, 01:46:08 pm »
I like the serve the mooches infected beer idea.

Many years ago I used to do construction testing and inspection.  One project I worked on was widening University Blvd. in Orange County Florida.  There was a county inspector I worked with on that job who was a notorious cigarette mooch.  He had a two-pack-a-day habit and never bought a pack in his life.  So, I bought a pack of Virginia Slims menthols and stuck them up on the dashboard of my truck to bake in the Florida sun.  Every time Mr. County Mooch would hit me up for a cigarette, I would treat him to one of those.  He stopped asking me for cigarettes after about the sixth one (old habits die hard).
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2011, 06:41:00 pm »
Tell then to come over and brew a batch with you, then they get a growler.  How many takers?  Not many.

If you don't let them know you are not happy with the situation, it will not change.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2011, 07:27:48 pm »
I don't think you're out of line by laying out some house rules. Afterall it is your beer. Between the cost of ingredients and your time, there's a significant investment.

I would let them know the truth. Just be honest and tell them about the cost and time investment and that they are welcome to some beer but....growlers is where I would draw the line.

If they become offended...that's when you'll know your friends from Bogart's.

Just lay down some simple house rules. I also like Gordon's idea of mowing the grass.
Ron Price

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2011, 09:27:34 pm »
Ok, some things are gonna change real fast. Today was the last straw. I just get home with two of my buddies, from the brewery picking up my grain / hop order, of all places. In the meantime, dude number three stopped by with his wife, and they were in the driveway talking with Holly when I got in. He holds up a growler 3/4 full and says he, I blew your keg. I thought he was joking. Turns out, him and his wife had two pints each, then filled the growler, kicking my last keg!! Oh, but he left 7$ on the kegerator.  ::)  I know the dudes don't think they are being a$$hats. It's just the Idaho culture here. What mine is theirs, and whats theirs, I really don't want.  ;D
  Next brew day, I got two guys lined up to help. And, I am seriously thinking of starting a mug club. Ten bucks scores you a personal mug. You're welocome to come over and drink free beer from your mug, anytime, all you can drink, at 3$, maybe 5$ a session. I thinks that's fair. three bucks for alll the free beer you can drink, and it's not Bud. You figure one poker night with three dudes here, and that keg is paid for. Next weekend, a propane refill, next weekend, a c02 exchange. Some week I might feel generous, and the rounds are on me. Sometime I might be extra kind and let them fill a growler. But, at least it will put thee brakes on this deal.
  If that fails, I will juststop at their house each night at dinner time, with a fork, plate, and a to go box.  ;D
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.