Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Love sharing my beer, BUT....  (Read 22584 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Re: Love sharing my beer, BUT....
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2011, 03:46:47 pm »
I think the deal is, that they just do not realize the time / cost involved. Ingridents, propane, water (which is not cheap here in the high desert) c02, which by the wway cost me double here than in Ohio. THen, you have the time not just involved in brewing, but going to pick up supplies, cleaning on brew day, racking, kegging, carbing kegs, keeping the lines clean etc.... I reallythink the just don't get it. The fugure because it's home made, it's cheap and easy. No offense Denny.  ;D
  Either way, the sitiation will be dealt with, and all parties will leave happy, and fit shaced.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline scooter2374

• Cellarman
  • Highlands, NJ
    • Scotty's Homebrew blog
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2011, 03:48:27 pm »
That sucks that they are taking your generosity too far Weaz. I'd keep the beer on lockdown for awhile and make some ground rules for when you start it back up again
AHA member since '10

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2011, 04:37:40 pm »

and one of these.

Oh great!  Now there are pictures of my cat floating around the interweb.  Guess he figure out my passwords...
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

ccarlson

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2011, 07:04:50 pm »

and one of these.

Oh great!  Now there are pictures of my cat floating around the interweb.  Guess he figure out my passwords...

May I use your cat as my avatar? As soon as I can figure out how to make an avatar.

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2011, 12:35:32 am »

and one of these.

May I use your cat as my avatar? As soon as I can figure out how to make an avatar.
Not my cat but go for it. Got it off Google Images. I just always remembered the angry cat...
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2011, 01:25:40 am »
Better:

"It's a F*%#ING CAT!"
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2011, 08:58:13 am »
Better:

"It's a F*%#ING CAT!"

That was so, wrong...hilarious wrong... ;D

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2011, 08:11:50 pm »
People are just really starting to abuse this. I'll tell you my deal, then you can all decide if I'm just being a jerk, and need to settle down.
My beer has gone over very well here in Idaho. Like most homebrewers, I love to share my beer. That's a huge part of he reason I brew. To see others enjoy it. Is there anything better than sitting with your buddies, and enjoying beer you made with them? But, people are really hitting the taps hard here. THey come and sit and drink all evening, which is ok, I invite them over to play some poker and drink. But now, I just have people showing up at the house with growlers to fill. I mean drop in fill a growler, go home. Makes me feel good that they like it, but dude! I'm not a brew pub. This stuff ain't free. It takes time and money. I love to share, but don't just use me as your personal micro brew. Am I just being a jerk, or do I have a valid complaint? If so, what to do?

Late to the party here, I been busy but ... weaze, HELL NO that ain't right and I have had the same problem. If people wanna beer, thats fine. You drink it WITH ME. No one should give away beer like that and, like I said - I've had the same problem. I've always been stingy with my homebrew. That's beer I have brewed for ME. And part of the fun is certainly sharing it WITH ME. But resist giving away growlers. Tell 'em to kiss off!

That said, I have given growlers away in exchange for favors or work or deer meat or food or whatever. Totally different though.;

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2011, 11:09:36 pm »
I find that they think this is OK and the custom in that area is to share whenever whatever unabated is curious at the least.

In S.C., its just the opposite. You never take anything without being invited, actually it would be very forward to even ask.

The owner is expected to offer in every occasion however.

Transplanted Yankees excepted.

In the Weaz's case it would go like this:
 Friends came over and you have a keg. If they asked for some it would be like the worst thing they could do. On the other hand, if you didn't offer, it would be just as bad. it's just plain good manners.

If I was offerd a beer I would take one and even after the "sure, get all you want" I would never get a second draw without the hosts making the offer.

This goes for other situations also. At dinner, the lady of the house is in charge. When there is only one biscuit left and every one is staring at it but no one takes it. That would be the worst manners ever. The "host" would never take it but will offer it to guest first.

Same way with wine. Each gets a glass but never pour a second without it being offered. Everybody is sitting around bugg-eyed wanting another glass, commenting on it, picking it up and reading the label, but won't pour another glass until invited to do so. The host will go to Etiquette Hell if they don't offer another pour.

So at the Tubercule household it goes like this: as soon as guest arrive, get them a mug and introduce them to the kegarator. Keep an eye out and as soon as they get low, a nod of the head and a gesture toward the tap is in order. This goes on constantly and takes dilligence but it is protocol.

Fishing with the buddies? Who(m)ever brought the ice chest full of Millwaukee's Best with all of its hoppy goodness owns it. They offer, you take, they offer, you take, in that order.

Got a neighbor with a broken tractor? You offer to loan him yours, or even better, to bush hog the field for him.

But for a bastard to walk into my house and take MY beer with out asking; he would be ostracized by the community.

That's how we roll.

Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2011, 11:33:39 pm »
I find that they think this is OK and the custom in that area is to share whenever whatever unabated is curious at the least.

In S.C., its just the opposite. You never take anything without being invited, actually it would be very forward to even ask.

The owner is expected to offer in every occasion however.

In the Weaz's case it would go like this:
 Friends came over and you have a keg. If they asked for some it would be like the worst thing they could do. On the other hand, if you didn't offer, it would be just as bad. it's just plain good manners.

If I was offerd a beer I would take one and even after the "sure, get all you want" I would never get a second draw without the hosts making the offer.

This goes for other situations also. At dinner, the lady of the house is in charge. When there is only one biscuit left and every one is staring at it but no one takes it. That would be the worst manners ever. The "host" would never take it but will offer it to guest first.

Same way with wine. Each gets a glass but never pour a second without it being offered. Everybody is sitting around bugg-eyed wanting another glass, commenting on it, picking it up and reading the label, but won't pour another glass until invited to do so. The host will go to Etiquette Hell if they don't offer another pour.

So at the Tubercule household it goes like this: as soon as guest arrive, get them a mug and introduce them to the kegarator. Keep an eye out and as soon as they get low, a nod of the head and a gesture toward the tap is in order. This goes on constantly and takes dilligence but it is protocol.

Fishing with the buddies? Who(m)ever brought the ice chest full of Millwaukee's Best with all of its hoppy goodness owns it. They offer, you take, they offer, you take, in that order.

Got a neighbor with a broken tractor? You offer to loan him yours, or even better, to bush hog the field for him.

But for a bastard to walk into my house and take MY beer with out asking; he would be ostracized by the community.

That's how we roll.

+10  that's the way it oughta be!
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2011, 11:47:51 pm »
My friends ask "cool if I get a beer?" but I say help yourself and I mean help yourself. We've known each other for over 30 years- mi casa es su casa. Then I'll steer them if there's a choice.

I always thought is was don't loan out your dog or motorcycle. Never heard a peep about the wife/GF or beeer. 8)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2011, 12:02:14 am »

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...  halfbacks...
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2011, 12:40:22 am »

That's how we roll.

That was the first lesson I was taught by an older friend/acquaintance when I arrived at a BYOB party with a fifth of tequila.
I had just turned 21 (Riiiiiiight  8)) and he was sitting near by. Long story short. I offered a shot of my contribution. He accepted, and waited. I figured he would just help himself to my bottle after I gave the go-ahead. He looked at me inquisitively.
I asked him what was up. He said,

"A gentleman never pours another mans alcohol." As in if you are offered a drink you hold out your glass. You do not grab the
bottle. The owner pours what he deems acceptable. Not what the guest thinks it is.

It made sense to me then and still does now. If I offer, I pour, generously. If I am offered I accept humbly and appreciatively.

It is part of the "Bro Code"...

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2011, 05:53:29 am »
What I don't understand in the weaze situation is why these friends don't make up for their mooching with offers of six packs of beer from the store?  Where's the "give" in "give and take?"  Wouldn't you think it's normal to thank the generous host by replacing his offer with something they themselves could provide?  I'd be saying, "I know I can't replace what you made with your own hands, but would you like some of this Snake River IPA?"  What these guys are doing is just not normal.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2011, 06:23:33 am »
seems like almost everyone agrees that these 'friends' aren't acting like good friends. the problem now, for Weaze, is how to handle it.

simple, direct is best. confront it head on, gently but firmly. summarize the situation to them, tell them it's not working for you at all, and needs to change. you don't need to make it personal for any of them, just that this is the general situation that's come to exist. then tell them the new 'house rules', what ever you are comfortable with and think will work. tell them there's a new sherrif in town, and his name is tubercle.  ;D  seriously though, things won't change till you let them all know that the old way is done, and let them know clearly how you want things to be.

if you piss anyone off, too damn bad. if they're worth having as friends, they'll understand.

Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL