Author Topic: Love sharing my beer, BUT....  (Read 15317 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Re: Love sharing my beer, BUT....
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2011, 12:49:50 PM »
if you piss anyone off, too damn bad. if they're worth having as friends, they'll understand.

Big +1000 to this. I had to learn the hard way when I was younger, real friends don't take advantage of you no matter what it is. But it is possible that you have genuine friends that are just a bit dumb and didn't really think about what they were doing - so don't pitch a hissy, just explain what everybody has said above.

I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline glastctbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2011, 01:20:51 PM »
Another alternative, if you aren't up to the direct confrontation, is to put up a sign with a basket or coffee can below it asking for donations to cover the cost of the ingredients. 

You sign could read something like:

"I'm glad you love my beer.  Please feel free to donate to the cause since brewing all this great beer is costly and takes a ton of my time.  I can always use some extra hands on brew day to help with all the cleanup if you are up to it!  Thanks!"

Just an alternative approach but it gets the message across.
Scott
Still Hill Brewery

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2011, 01:35:21 PM »
as someone mentioned previously, asking for money like that could (though not likely) get you in trouble. it could be interpreted by the revenooers as 'selling' your homebrew.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline glastctbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2011, 01:48:54 PM »
as someone mentioned previously, asking for money like that could (though not likely) get you in trouble. it could be interpreted by the revenooers as 'selling' your homebrew.

That was why I put "donation" in there as well as gave the time alternative.  But I'm not a lawyer so I have no idea if that would really cover it.
Scott
Still Hill Brewery

ccarlson

« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2011, 01:59:51 PM »
I think anything money related and attached to the beer, could be considered alcohol purchase. Call it a movie fund to help pay for DVD's that guests might watch or a college fund for the kids. The biggest problem, is if you happen to piss off one of them. The wrong phone call could  make for a very unpleasant experience.

Offline glastctbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2011, 02:28:26 PM »
Blah.  I'd just take the direct confrontation route if I had to worry about a knock on the door because I asked people to help donate to purchasing supplies.

Oh well, always a good discussion.
Scott
Still Hill Brewery

Offline homebrewgamecock

• Cellarman
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2011, 02:40:08 PM »
Wow Weaze.  Sounds like it's time for some blunt and to the point eastern conversation with these people.  I share my beer with friends and even brew beer for people's parties.  They pay for the ingredients and I brew the beer. 

None of my friends have ever just shown up at my house and helped themselves let alone blow the keg.  I would be really pissed at that.  Not really the beer, but like Denny and others have said - the time and effort to make beer.  That's just rude IMO.  Would they just walk into a bar and help themselves to beer or even someone's house and just drink their last beer in the fridge?

Guess I don't ever have to worry about moving to Idaho.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2011, 04:07:57 PM »
  What puts me in a bind, is I know these dudes aren't just abusing me. Two of them are my bros-in-law. Two others, I've know since I first moved here. I mean, anytime they came over before, for poker night, whatever, everybody bought a 6, tossed it in the fridge, and every man for himself. We took that fishing trip together, everyone bought a ase, tossed it in the cooler, and then take what you want. That's just how these guys roll. It's how they were raised I guess. And, it's not like they just started hanging around since I had beer on tap. Like I said, I've know some for 10+ years. And, to be fair, I have to say, if rolls were reversed, they would think nothing of it, if I were to show up at their house for a growler.
 But, that's not me. That's not my background. That's not how I do it. My mancave, my beer, my rules. So, What I have decided, is the kind, subtle approach. So as to avoid looking like a douch bag to them (like I said, they would not think twice if I filled up from their tap) I have my little piggy bank that say "Beer Money" I will be sure that ison display right between the two taps. Along with that, I will make a little sign that says "To keep the taps flowing, a couple bucks go a long ways." I'll just put it out certain times, poker night, bbq's, etc...I don't want them to get the impression that every time they pull a pint, I expect a donation. Just for those times I know it's gonna be hit hard. I'll try that for a while, and see how it goes.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2011, 04:22:54 PM »
Very nice thread.  Great discussion.

Here in my little corner of Washington State, I've had to refuse money for my beer.  But, I have received many LHBS gift certificates as "happy Monday" gifts. 

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2011, 04:54:02 PM »
  What puts me in a bind, is I know these dudes aren't just abusing me. Two of them are my bros-in-law. Two others, I've know since I first moved here. I mean, anytime they came over before, for poker night, whatever, everybody bought a 6, tossed it in the fridge, and every man for himself. We took that fishing trip together, everyone bought a ase, tossed it in the cooler, and then take what you want. That's just how these guys roll. It's how they were raised I guess. And, it's not like they just started hanging around since I had beer on tap. Like I said, I've know some for 10+ years. And, to be fair, I have to say, if rolls were reversed, they would think nothing of it, if I were to show up at their house for a growler.
Weaze, this is why I think you need to be direct.  Like: "Remember before I started brewing here, when we would all bring beer and throw it all together and just grab what we wanted?  It's like that now, except I'm the only one supplying any beer.  So I need you guys to either pony up for some ingredients or help out cleaning and brewing."

The tip jar might work, but it seems a bit passive-aggressive to me, especially since you know these guys well.  And institute a rule - you kick a keg, you clean two. ;)
Tom Schmidlin

ccarlson

« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2011, 04:57:12 PM »
Weaze, this is why I think you need to be direct.  Like: "Remember before I started brewing here, when we would all bring beer and throw it all together and just grab what we wanted?  It's like that now, except I'm the only one supplying any beer.  So I need you guys to either pony up for some ingredients or help out cleaning and brewing."

The tip jar might work, but it seems a bit passive-aggressive to me, especially since you know these guys well.  And institute a rule - you kick a keg, you clean two. ;)

Something about "you kick a keg, you clean two" sounds more aggressive than a tip jar to me. Besides, while help may be nice, money would be better.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2011, 05:00:34 PM »
Something about "you kick a keg, you clean two" sounds more aggressive than a tip jar to me. Besides, while help may be nice, money would be better.
Aggressive is fine with me. :)  But I see it as more humorous than aggressive, like a game of hot potato.  It all depends on how it's presented.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2011, 05:09:18 PM »
Besides, while help may be nice, money would be better.

Me, I'd rather have the help than the money.  It doesn't cost much money to brew a batch of beer, but the time it takes away from other things I need to do is more of a problem.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dbeechum

• Administrator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2011, 05:12:21 PM »
Me, I'd rather have the help than the money. 

Agree with you about the time, but perversely I find that when I brew with others - it takes me longer than if I'm in heads down focused brewing mode.

And if it's one of my good friends bringing something like The Bruery's White Oak to drink, then the day gets dramatically longer. :)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

ccarlson

« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2011, 05:14:24 PM »
Me, I'd rather have the help than the money. 

Agree with you about the time, but perversely I find that when I brew with others - it takes me longer than if I'm in heads down focused brewing mode.

And if it's one of my good friends bringing something like The Bruery's White Oak to drink, then the day gets dramatically longer. :)

I agree. I'd much rather brew by myself. Distractions are what cause me to make mistakes.