Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Love sharing my beer, BUT....  (Read 22747 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Love sharing my beer, BUT....
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2011, 11:20:02 am »
Yeah, I could use the help on a cleaning day, but not on a brewing day.  Or they could mow my lawn, weed the ditch, prune the apple tree, pick up dog poo, clean the gutters, remove/treat the moss on the roof of the shed, power wash the driveway, wash and seal the concrete slab, wash and seal the deck, paint the pergola, build an arbor for the grapes, put in posts and wires for the other grapes, paint the fence, paint the house, replace the windows, cut down the maples that lost their tops in the last wind storm, fix my chipper/shredder, clean out the pile of stuff to be chipped/shredded, take a load of debris to the dump, help me take everything out of the garage and seal any holes where mice might be coming in then put everything back, build two benches, build a picnic table, and build a chicken coop.  ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2011, 11:27:18 am »
Yeah, I could use the help on a cleaning day, but not on a brewing day.  Or they could mow my lawn, weed the ditch, prune the apple tree, pick up dog poo, clean the gutters, remove/treat the moss on the roof of the shed, power wash the driveway, wash and seal the concrete slab, wash and seal the deck, paint the pergola, build an arbor for the grapes, put in posts and wires for the other grapes, paint the fence, paint the house, replace the windows, cut down the maples that lost their tops in the last wind storm, fix my chipper/shredder, clean out the pile of stuff to be chipped/shredded, take a load of debris to the dump, help me take everything out of the garage and seal any holes where mice might be coming in then put everything back, build two benches, build a picnic table, and build a chicken coop.  ;D

But it's easier to just come steal your beer when you're working.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2011, 12:24:55 pm »
 Yeah, I really don't care about having help. I brew because I enjoy it. And for me, it's one of those things where an extra hand just gets in the way. Kind of like holding the trash door open for someone at McDonalds. No one really needs this done for them, but we end up doing it because it seems polite. But, in the end, they just end up dumping half the trash on the floor, and you end up with ketchup on your wrist, and lettuce on your shoe. It would have been better just to walk away.
 I really could use the money. When I had real work, and was brewing mainly for myself, it was not an issue. But, now that work has changed (and I'm not complaining, it's my choice. I love my life now) and I seem to be brewing for half the town, money is what I need. If you wanna come brew with me, fine. Just bring your checkbook!!  ;D
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline glastctbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2011, 12:47:56 pm »
  If you wanna come brew with me, fine. Just bring your checkbook!!  ;D

And leave your pants at home?   :D
Scott
Still Hill Brewery

narvin

« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2011, 01:50:36 pm »
Neither help nor money will give YOU more time to allocate to brewdays.  I think you just need to tell them that you aren't able to brew enough to supply the whole neighborhood with beer.  Nothing personal to any of them, just the truth.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2011, 02:59:38 pm »
You know weaze, reading everyone's responses, something occured to me.  Many non-homebrewers think we homebrewers brew our own because it's way cheaper than buying store-bought beer.  Of course we know that is not the case.  Perhaps your friends think that your beer doesn't cost you much, in money or effort.  Seems like they've known you for quite a while, and understand the beer sharing customs.  Perhaps they just don't understand about homebrewing yet.

Oh yeah, if you think it might help some, keep a pack of stale girlie menthols on the dashboard to share with the diehard deadbeats...  ;)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

ccarlson

« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2011, 03:28:51 pm »
The truth is, now that my equipment is paid for and I buy in bulk, it really is a LOT cheaper than store bought beer. If yours isn't, then you're doing something wrong.

That said, your friends still shouldn't mooch off of you.there is a lot of your time involved.

Offline punatic

« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2011, 03:30:55 pm »
The truth is, now that my equipment is paid for and I buy in bulk, it really is a LOT cheaper than store bought beer. If yours isn't, then you're doing something wrong.

Yeah, and I know what it is I'm doing wrong - shipping stuff to the middle of the Pacific Ocean to brew with...  :D

AHA Life Member #33907

ccarlson

« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2011, 03:32:30 pm »

Yeah, and I know what it is I'm doing wrong - shipping stuff to the middle of the Pacific Ocean to brew with...  :D

That could be the problem. :)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2011, 06:22:23 pm »
 I have to agree, brewing it yourself, especially AG, is about as cheap as buying, if not cheaper. For my next batch, 5 gallons, I got 10# pound of grain, 4 oz of hops, and my yeast for 15$. Tell me what IPA your gonna buy that cost 1.66 a 6 pack.
 A lot of it to me, is also the princple, as well. And like I said before, times changed for me. Now, 15 bucks is a big deal to me. I know some people may say, dude, its 15$, suck it up. But, it really means a lot to me now, and is harded to come by. (disclaimer, again, I'm not complaining. It's my choice, and I'm happy with it)

Offline Steve

• Assistant Brewer
  • Been there, done that. And now I've returned
    • Kettle and Cask Beer Blog
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2011, 09:55:45 am »
There are so many responses, I can't keep up with them so I may be repeating someone.

Go with a pre-mug club or a Keg Club where they have to pitch in for ingredients. The % they pitch in is what they get out of the batch.  If they don't pitch in have a case of Keystone unrefrigerated (yeck) for the cheapskates.

Just remember the 100 gal/year/house/21 part of the Jimmy Carter Law.  There's always something huh?
Steve

"Because beer is food: in cooking, at the table and by the glass. " Lucy Saunders

Offline punatic

« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2011, 01:45:25 pm »
100gal/year/person - 200gal/year/household

And by golly ya better not cheat!   :)

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2011, 05:30:49 pm »
Punatic- I bet they (the Beer Gestapo) would love to audit your records on the Big Island.

I know I'll be on my wife's yearly allotment soon.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2011, 06:48:11 pm »
Got four adults, in this household.  8)

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #89 on: May 19, 2011, 06:53:28 pm »
Got four adults, in this household.  8)

Sorry Weaze, not gonna fly...

(b) The production of beer per household, without payment of tax, for personal or family use may not exceed:
(1) 200 gallons per calendar year if there are two or more adults residing in the household, or
(2) 100 gallons per calendar year if there is only one adult residing in the household.

...from http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/government-affairs/statutes/united-states
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 06:55:18 pm by hokerer »
Joe