Author Topic: Love sharing my beer, BUT....  (Read 8802 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
Re: Love sharing my beer, BUT....
« Reply #105 on: May 20, 2011, 12:19:49 PM »
So, if you don't brew your annual volume limit each year, do you get roll-over gallons?  If so, are they valid all the way back to 1978?   ???     ::);D

That would be nice. But I don't think so. What if you brew at someone else's house and ferment there? Does this count?
I think it counts on them.  And for what it's worth, I think you can brew at your house and pitch the yeast and ferment at someone else's house, and it counts for them.  Up until then all you did was produce hoppy sugar water.  The alcohol is being made at their house.  :)

Anyway, it's irrelevant for me.  I might have time to hit my limit when I retire or when the kids get older, but I don't think I've ever even come close.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 20, 2011, 12:41:02 PM »
And 100 gallons is about 100 twelve-packs which over a year's time is 3.29 beers a day.

If my friends were over more often then I'd certainly have to think about brewing my limit. 8)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 20, 2011, 01:29:39 PM »
Maybe we should be punished if we brew LESS than 200 gallons a year! ;D

I like it!
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline Slowbrew

• Senior Brewmaster
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 20, 2011, 01:35:49 PM »
So, if you don't brew your annual volume limit each year, do you get roll-over gallons?  If so, are they valid all the way back to 1978?   ???     ::).  ;D

That would be nice. But I don't think so. What if you brew at someone else's house and ferment there? Does this count?
I think it counts on them.  And for what it's worth, I think you can brew at your house and pitch the yeast and ferment at someone else's house, and it counts for them.  Up until then all you did was produce hoppy sugar water.  The alcohol is being made at their house.  :)

Anyway, it's irrelevant for me.  I might have time to hit my limit when I retire or when the kids get older, but I don't think I've ever even come close.

A certain recently published author made the statement it isn't beer until the yeast is added (Gordon?).  So... if I make 800 gallons of wort but only ferment 200 of at my house I should be okay.   I think I can talk 3 neighbors in to it.  :P

Edited to fix screwed up insert of my comment

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 20, 2011, 01:36:37 PM »
Just mulling it all over...

How does mead fit in?  Is it beer?  Is it wine?  Is it legal to make at home?  If so, is there an annual limit?
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 20, 2011, 01:49:38 PM »

How does mead fit in?  Is it beer?  Is it wine?  Is it legal to make at home?  If so, is there an annual limit?

I think it is technically a wine.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Mecca, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 21, 2011, 08:40:29 PM »
Update......buddy "a" showed up tonight with three cases. We drank most of one, and he left the rest here. A case of Widmere, oneNew Belgium, and something else, I forget what. All sampler packs. Pretty nice gesture I thought.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 21, 2011, 08:46:24 PM »
Must be lurking here...... ;D
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 21, 2011, 09:05:14 PM »
Update......buddy "a" showed up tonight with three cases. We drank most of one, and he left the rest here. A case of Widmere, oneNew Belgium, and something else, I forget what. All sampler packs. Pretty nice gesture I thought.

He was watching da streaming brew session and decided it was better to be there in person!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Mecca, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 21, 2011, 09:07:31 PM »
LOL! You never know. That, or I finally got through to him. He was asking about my brew day. I explained what went on, and what I had shelled out for ten gallons. I explained it was 28$. He thaought that was a pretty good deal. I told him yeah, but you also have to add, propane, CO2, and water. So, you're pushing 35-40$ now.
  Can't wait to get the sign up that TonyP made me. I might be able to afford this after all!  ;D

Offline Steve

• Assistant Brewer
  • Been there, done that. And now I've returned
    • View Profile
    • Kettle and Cask Beer Blog
« Reply #115 on: May 22, 2011, 08:51:18 AM »

I think it is technically a wine.

It's all under the same 100/person or 200/household.
Steve

"Because beer is food: in cooking, at the table and by the glass. " Lucy Saunders

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 22, 2011, 09:18:27 PM »
Can't wait to get the sign up that TonyP made me. I might be able to afford this after all!  ;D
Does it say
Gas, grass, or ass, no one drinks for free
Propane, malt, or sex just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Something else you can do weaze, I can't remember if someone mentioned this.  Put up a whiteboard where everyone can see it and track your expenses for the year on it.

Malt
Hops
Yeast
Other ingredients
Fuel
CO2
Cleaners/Sanitizers
Equipment

You can also track time spent and gallons produced.  It's a useful exercise at the very least, but it will lay it out for them pretty clearly the time and expense of the hobby.

Another thing you can do is let them buy you sacks of malt and in exchange you let them pick the next beer to be brewed and name it after them.  People love having beers named in their honor. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Steve

• Assistant Brewer
  • Been there, done that. And now I've returned
    • View Profile
    • Kettle and Cask Beer Blog
« Reply #117 on: May 23, 2011, 05:43:30 AM »
Can't wait to get the sign up that TonyP made me. I might be able to afford this after all!  ;D
Does it say

Something else you can do weaze, I can't remember if someone mentioned this.  Put up a whiteboard where everyone can see it and track your expenses for the year on it.
....  People love having beers named in their honor. :)
Brilliant!
Steve

"Because beer is food: in cooking, at the table and by the glass. " Lucy Saunders

Offline stlaleman

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
    • Penrose Picobrewery
« Reply #118 on: May 25, 2011, 06:44:09 AM »
Does it say

Malt
Hops
Yeast
Other ingredients
Fuel
CO2
Cleaners/Sanitizers
Equipment

You can also track time spent and gallons produced.  It's a useful exercise at the very least, but it will lay it out for them pretty clearly the time and expense of the hobby.

Another thing you can do is let them buy you sacks of malt and in exchange you let them pick the next beer to be brewed and name it after them.  People love having beers named in their honor. :)

That is the worst idea I ever heard. I would not want my wife to see what I'm spending!

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Mecca, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 25, 2011, 12:18:48 PM »
 My friend Ann (who is vey hot, as a sidenote) hand painted me a very nice sign. It says "I may be cheap, but the beer I make isn't. Feel free to contribute to the next round." That was pretty cool of her. She did not even know of my plight. She just figured that people need to pony up for the beer they are drinking.  I think between that, and what Tony made me, I'll be set.