Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How to classify a Black IPA for AHA competition?  (Read 11865 times)

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
Re: How to classify a Black IPA for AHA competition?
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2011, 03:17:46 pm »
I'm gonna brew a pale stout!

In England in the 18th century, there were such beasties. These days, we'd call them barleywines or old ales.

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2011, 03:22:04 pm »
Rather than constrain the category because of confusion between it's historical and style traits, a new style should be created that accommodated both aspects of the beer together.  I would call it an 10D American (Dark) Black Ale.

I'd personally like to see a sub-category for Specialty IPA, which covers Black, Rye and Belgian-American style AIPA/DIPA, as well as possibly "Imperial Amber" and "Imperial Brown" ales.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2011, 03:24:16 pm »
I'd personally like to see a sub-category for Specialty IPA, which covers Black, Rye and Belgian-American style AIPA/DIPA, as well as possibly "Imperial Amber" and "Imperial Brown" ales.

That's a good idea, Thomas.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2011, 03:25:06 pm »
I think I'm going to invent a new style.  It is called Purple IPA.  It tastes just like a real IPA except that it is purple from the addition of red and blue food coloring.  It will be all the rage amongst fans of purple beers!

There's already "Imperial Red Ale", so why not? If it takes off, perhaps in a few years the BJCP will have an entirely new category for colored IPA!