Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Crystal malt and corn  (Read 2670 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Crystal malt and corn
« on: May 16, 2011, 09:45:33 am »
I'm working on a cream ale recipe and I'm wondering if adding both crystal malt and flaked corn makes any sense. My understanding is that flaked corn will add fermentable but will lighten the body of the beer.  Adding crystal 45 would add body and so does it make sense to do both?  I'm considering the following.

8.5 lbs 2-row
0.5 lbs C45
1 lb Flaked corn
1 oz Northern Brewer @60
1/2 oz Cascade leaf @ 15
1/2 oz Cascade leaf @ flameout
WLP001 slurry harvested last Thursday.
I made a very similar one that was very good with 100 g of Chocolate malt and I'm trying to make a similar but lighter beer.  Trying for a Sleeman Cream Ale style.  Made a darker one that is very good but want something a bit more "summery".

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Crystal malt and corn
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 11:00:18 am »
Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  In a situation like this, I ask myself what it is that I'm expecting each ingredient to do and try to imagine how the combo will fit together.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 11:26:03 am »
In some instances, you want the sweetness of the caramel/crystal malt, but don't want the added body contribution.  I've only tried it once, and it was a beer I brewed last Wednesday, so I don't know if it worked yet (edit: it wasn't a cream ale... sour brown, a la duchesse du bourgogne)

« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 12:17:18 pm by ryang »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 12:12:13 pm »
If you look at cream ales as an ale breweries take on a pislner, you want to keep the color light and the finish somewhat dry.  The one I made uses some carapils and flaked barley for the body and creamyness.  A little 2 row and corn are the rest of the grain bill.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 01:53:15 pm »
I think that's a lot of late hops for a cream ale and a little crystal will help balance out the flavor and aroma. I like to do a cereal mash with a 160F rest. Dough in the main mash in the mid 140's at the same time and then add in the cereal mash to bring it up to the high 150's. This way the cerial mash dosen't hit the low mash temps and adds the creamy body to the finished beer.

Offline brewallday

• 1st Kit
    • Session Beer Brewing
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 10:29:54 am »
I really like to add light crystal malts to my cream ale as well as wheat which helps balance the dryness IMO.  Here is my grain bill for my blonde that just won second place at the 15th annual B.E.E.R. brewing comp.  It seems like a lot of crystal but it works.  Note I didn't notice any difference in using brown minute rice as opposed to white minute rice.

70% 2-row
10 % Minute Rice (I used brown rice because the only white instant rice at the supermarket was enriched)
10% Crystal 10
10% Unmalted Wheat

I also hopped it to about 20 ibus with 1.5 ounces of hallertau at 60 minutes and .5 ounces at flameout.  Used good ol' US-05 dry yeast. 

Good Luck!