Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NJ Craft Brewers Guild Puts Out Action Alert For Brewery Bills  (Read 1628 times)

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
I thought this might be of interest:

The talking points are up and the action alert has been made.

The Garden State Craft Brewers Guild is asking New Jersey beer enthusiasts to reach out to their representatives in Trenton to support Senate bill 2870 and Assembly bill A3969.

The companion legislation would bring the rules under which the state's craft breweries operate more in line with marketplace conditions in the mid-Atlantic region and elsewhere nationally.

But back to the commercial brewing legislation.

Here's what the guild says is the aim of S2870 and A3969, which were referred to law and public safety committees in their respective chambers:

Remove the arbitrary cap (2 brew pubs) on the amount of brewpubs a company can open in the state. (Taking away this cap means brewpub businesses wishing to expand and create jobs in the state could without any unnecessary restrictions.)

Allow small breweries to sell beer directly to consumers from their brewery locations. (New Jersey wineries already have this privilege. Additionally, this element mirrors A3520, which was introduced back in November.)

Allow small brewers to sell their product at 10 locations across the state directly to consumers. (New Jersey wineries have this privilege already, bringing their product directly to consumers without any harmful impact on other wine or alcohol interests. Think BYOB restaurants with this one.)

Allow small breweries and brewpubs to offer samples to consumers both at their brewery or offsite at such things as charity events and festivals.

Allow brewpubs to sell their beer at other bars and restaurants that they own but do not brew beer onsite, yet have a retail consumption license.

Allow brewpubs to sell their beer off-premise in the same manner as small breweries through the wholesale distribution chain. (This would allow consumers to buy their favorite brewpub beer at other locations in the state.)

Increase the amount of craft beer both New Jersey’s small breweries and brewpubs could produce annually.

The current regulations were enacted in the early 1990s, a time when craft brewing in New Jersey seemed faddish, more likely to remain a niche interest and not grow into a part of the state's manufacturing base.

I only copied the most interesting bits, the entire article can be found here:

http://beerstainedletter.blogspot.com/2011/05/guild-puts-out-action-alert-for-brewery.html
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline scooter2374

• Cellarman
  • Highlands, NJ
    • Scotty's Homebrew blog
Re: NJ Craft Brewers Guild Puts Out Action Alert For Brewery Bills
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 03:06:16 pm »
Thanks for the info Tony. I'll look into who I need to spam call/email/write/smoke signal
AHA member since '10