Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hummingbirds are smart critters  (Read 12430 times)

Offline SiameseMoose

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cincinnati, OH
Hummingbirds are smart critters
« on: May 16, 2011, 05:17:35 pm »
During the summer we put a hummingbird feeder on a bracket by our back windows. Today I was working in the yard on a hillside about 40' from the house. A hummingbird swooped around my head, and came to a hover right in front of me. After staying there a few seconds, he flew down to the house, right next to the empty bracket. He turned around and looked a me for a few seconds, then flew away. Message received! The feeder is now in place for the summer.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Hummingbirds are smart critters
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 05:38:34 pm »
That's awesome. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 06:08:44 pm »
Once me an my wife were sitting on the front porch and I seen our cat climb up the walnut tree. This pretty little bright green bird flew out and landed right on my shoulder. My wife was like 'oh cute, I can't believe that it just perched right there.' Then it shat on me and flew away. Message revived  ???.

There are another couple of those same birds up there again this year. The tree climbing cat is gone. He got killed by a pit bull.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 06:17:41 pm by Malticulous »

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 08:01:19 pm »
Message received! The feeder is now in place for the summer.
You are trainable!
Brew on

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 08:32:04 pm »
Wish I could have a feeder or two but my felines won't have it.  :(

Tried it once...and that was the last.
Ron Price

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 09:02:45 pm »
hummingbirds are awesome, beautiful, swift and terrible. they are among the most pugnacious, belligerant, feisty creatures on the planet. they'd wade right into a bfi fight thread and kick ass.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

jaybeerman

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 10:00:48 pm »
similar to my dog - when she glances at me and then looks to the top of the beer fridge where her snacks are kept.  she even darts her eyes in that direction while still looking at me.  Gotta love it when animals look at us and think, "I wonder if this dumbass is smart enough to follow my hint."

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 11:46:10 pm »
I once found one in the vast high dry mountain desert. It appeared to have
just plain ran out of gas...which I assume must be readily plentiful to fuel the speed
of living that they posess....I kept that mummified remnant just to show for a
while then set it free....true story.  :o
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 11:48:05 pm by 1vertical »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 11:50:44 pm »
Thanks guys. We got'em and I'll set out some sugar water next few days. Didn't know they could be aggressive. But it makes sense in a way.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 12:07:26 am »
Oh yeah they're aggressive little buggers.  The ladies at my office have feeders all around the building and we have a really nice big garden so it's prime habitat. They get very territorial with each other, particularly in the spring. Now why would that be? Anyway, it like watching mini-dog fights out there sometimes. I even got buzzed once. I hope I never catch one of those to the ear.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 12:18:27 am »
I've always thought that hummingbirds live life like the Scalosians in the Star Trek Episode, Wink of an Eye

Very cool story in the OP!

(not to mention Deela exhibits extreme babeage!)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 12:22:55 am by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 12:27:56 am »
I once found one in the vast high dry mountain desert. It appeared to have
just plain ran out of gas...which I assume must be readily plentiful to fuel the speed
of living that they posess....I kept that mummified remnant just to show for a
while then set it free....true story.  :o

I believe it. We were up at Lake Granby in Colorado. Alpine withtout being to high maybe 7-8k feet
in altitude. Our host has a nice cabin up there. Huge windows.

Wham! They run into it a lot, and it is not just humming birds. Anyhoo, it was a little green iridescent one.
Pretty. Out of breath. We gave it some sugar water and hoped that it was ok.  It looked like it was done for.
Then out of nowhere pop. zip! and gone...
hummingbirds are awesome, beautiful, swift and terrible. they are among the most pugnacious, belligerant, feisty creatures on the planet. they'd wade right into a bfi fight thread and kick ass.
ROFLMAO!
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 12:46:47 am »

;D

We get hummingbirds, it's pretty cool.  I saw a hairy woodpecker on the feeder the other day, that was awesome.

My biggest problem right now is a psychotic robin.  It keeps flying in to the windows, attacking its own reflection.  The noise is annoying enough, but it smear dirt from it's feet all over the windows, front of the hose, back of the house, driver's side windows, passenger side windows, anywhere it can find a reflection.  Plus it craps all over wherever it happens to perch (and below) right before it launches it's next attack - porch railing and deck, car mirrors/doors, you name it.  I've deployed counter measures - they work a little.  I hate that damn bird.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 12:55:12 am »
I'm a bird person but .22...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 01:05:10 am »
Having spent a lot of time around many types of birds, I can tell you without a doubt that they have no awareness of their own ass holes.  Poop flies out whenever - where ever, without conscious effort or thought.

That said, I've only seen two hummingbirds in person in my entire life.  One was at Mount Vernon.  That was an extra special day.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907