Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: "GORKY'S" LOS ANGELES, Anyone? Anyone?  (Read 3607 times)

abrewcadabrew

"GORKY'S" LOS ANGELES, Anyone? Anyone?
« on: May 23, 2011, 10:56:53 pm »
Does Anyone Remember Gorky's in Los Angeles?

It just occurred to me they were brewing their own beer "waaay" back in the early 90's

If anyone does remember, does anyone happen to know who the brewer was or where he/they are now?

Waxing nostalgic, that's all.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: "GORKY'S" LOS ANGELES, Anyone? Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 11:52:11 pm »
I know of Gorky's in the academic sense, but yeah... that was before my time.

My first oldest was Crown City and I know their brewer is now one of the primary reps for Chimay.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

abrewcadabrew

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 12:09:53 am »
I know of Gorky's in the academic sense, but yeah... that was before my time.

My first oldest was Crown City and I know their brewer is now one of the primary reps for Chimay.

Crown City! Now that's a name I've not heard in a while. And, hey, wait, you're in Pasadena! That's where I used to live (before moving to Japan in 2001). East Villa St. - favourite hang outs: Colorado Bar and Lucky Baldwin's.

Now I'm uber-excited I finally decided join this forum. ;D

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 12:14:58 am »
Oh god... the Colorado - black hole of legendary dinginess and about 6 blocks from me.

Of course now, there's a new Lucky Baldwin's (#3) located at Colorado & Allen, 9 blocks away from me. :)
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

abrewcadabrew

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 08:31:17 am »
Oh god... the Colorado - black hole of legendary dinginess and about 6 blocks from me.

Of course now, there's a new Lucky Baldwin's (#3) located at Colorado & Allen, 9 blocks away from me. :)

It's good to know the legendary dinginess lives on. As for the new Lucky Baldwin's...#3? Sheesh - my last memory was helping sponsor the Guinness drink off for the Guiness Book of World Record's drink off.

You a Pasadena native? I was only there a few years, but my best mates are all still (born-and-bred) there.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 08:45:45 am »
I was born in Pasadena, lived just north of Washington Blvd, but my parents moved away when I was 7.  I still remember Ernie Jrs, which I guess has moved or closed down.  I was a bit too young to remember the dive bars though!   ;D  But I did miss seeing the mountains every day.  Well, every day at least that you could see through the yellow haze to the mountains...

abrewcadabrew

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 08:49:20 am »
I was born in Pasadena, lived just north of Washington Blvd, but my parents moved away when I was 7.  I still remember Ernie Jrs, which I guess has moved or closed down.  I was a bit too young to remember the dive bars though!   ;D  But I did miss seeing the mountains every day.  Well, every day at least that you could see through the yellow haze to the mountains...

Ha! it's been more than ten years, but I do remember Washington Blvd. Can't say the same about Ernie Jrs. - but who the hell could forget the yellow haze?

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 09:45:39 am »
The haze is much better these days then it was in the past. When I moved to LA 15 years ago the stuff was dense enough to hide the verdugos from my office in Glendale! Now, I work in North Hollywood and it's rare that I can't see them.

And yeah, Lucky's is on 3 locations now - Old Town on Raymond, next to the Brailey building (since taken over by the Scientologists), Sierra Madre on the site of the old Sierra Madre Brewing Company and now just east of PCC in what used to be Brits Fish & Chips.
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison