Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sorachi Ace Saison, feedback time!  (Read 15116 times)

Offline jivetyrant

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Sorachi Ace Saison, feedback time!
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2011, 06:03:35 am »
Brewed it last night.  The yeast starter concerned me somewhat, it wasn't as active as I had hoped it would be.  I did O2 injection to compensate and that seems to have done the trick, the batch was already actively fermenting after only 5 hours!  OG was 1.039 prior to the addition of the honey, just about on target. (1.037)  I plan to add the honey this evening after work which should bump the "OG" up to 1.050-1.052.  It started a little warm due to the elevated temperature in the basement yesterday so I surrounded the fermenter with a few large ice packs and wrapped it in a towel to help drop the temp a bit.  I think my ME was a bit old though, it's darker than I had hoped for.

Regarding pasteurizing the honey, I'll have to think on that during work today.  It's great tasting but mildly waxy and definitely has some pollen in it.  I don't want those two things be reflected in the final taste.  When I've used this honey for mead in the past I've heated to 150 and skimmed, that seemed to help substantially.  On the other hand, a little funkiness would be in character for a Saison....

Decisions.