Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Simcoe substitutes  (Read 16067 times)

Offline timberati

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norm
    • Batch-22
Simcoe substitutes
« on: May 17, 2011, 08:41:05 am »
My LHBS doesn't carry Simcoe hops. When a recipe calls for Simcoe at 0 minutes what would be a decent substitute? I was thinking of using Columbus.
Cervesariis Feliciter
Batch-22 http://52beers.wordpress.com/
Twitter: timberati

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Simcoe substitutes
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 08:44:55 am »
Certainly nothing wrong with columbus, one of my favorite hops. But there is not real sub for simcoe.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 08:46:33 am »
Certainly nothing wrong with columbus, one of my favorite hops. But there is not real sub for simcoe.

+1

http://www.hopunion.com/hopunion-variety-databook.pdf
Ron Price

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 08:51:20 am »

+2

Maybe Galaxy if you can get it from Austrailia, but be prepared to pay on arm and a leg for it.  I did find some Simcoe from the craftbrewer.au website years ago during the first hop shortage, but as above, very expensive!

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 10:16:25 am »
IMO, a good substitue for Simcoe would be cat pee. ;)

If I'm subbing for Simcoe I use something like Cascade/Centennial and consider it an improvement (I just don't like Simcoe).  Summit might be a decent sub but I haven't used it yet.  I have ~10 oz whole leaf Simcoe I doubt I'll ever use because I dislike it so.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 10:37:34 am »
Let me PM you my address . . .

I'm sure you can find someone locally to take them off your hands, Simcoe is a great flavor/aroma hop.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 11:19:03 am »
Let me PM you my address . . .

I'm sure you can find someone locally to take them off your hands, Simcoe is a great flavor/aroma hop.
Ha!  The guy that brews at Shipyard Emporium (Ron Raike) said he would do a swap but I just haven't made it over there...and I do need some English hops.   Lots of folks love them but I just can't get past the cat.

Offline timberati

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norm
    • Batch-22
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 12:41:29 pm »
So Citra might be a decent substitute? I've heard it resembles cat urine to some people.
Cervesariis Feliciter

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 12:46:08 pm »
no. they are nothing alike. simcoe is piney and citra is mango fruit tea. love simcoe. not crazy about citra.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 12:58:03 pm »
its true, nothing is quite like the original simcoe.

I think Chinook, while not a true sub, would work well though - you don't get the tropical fruitiness, but the pine is very similar.

I might be buying a lot of Chinook at next harvest, expecting that I won't be able to buy Simcoe  :'(
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 01:52:22 pm »
This kinda got me thinking .... maybe .... maybe you could sub in something like 70% chinook and %30 citra and get something kinda similar. Would be worth a shot, assuming you can get Citra. Kinda hard to find no as well.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 02:03:17 pm »
This kinda got me thinking .... maybe .... maybe you could sub in something like 70% chinook and %30 citra and get something kinda similar. Would be worth a shot, assuming you can get Citra. Kinda hard to find no as well.

wow.  after I posted that, i started thinking Chinook + Citra might do the trick since you get the pine from the former and tropical from the latter. 

great minds drink alike...
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline timberati

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norm
    • Batch-22
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 02:11:46 pm »
Hey. It's definitely worth a shot. Thanks!
Cervesariis Feliciter

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 02:48:34 pm »

wow.  after I posted that, i started thinking Chinook + Citra might do the trick since you get the pine from the former and tropical from the latter. 

Just glad I beat you to the post!  :P I may have to try it sometime to see how close you can get.

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 03:09:37 pm »

Just glad I beat you to the post!  :P I may have to try it sometime to see how close you can get.

Keith, did you ever try this combo to try and get at Simcoe?