Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Simcoe substitutes  (Read 16068 times)

Offline germt699@yahoo.com

• 1st Kit
Re: Simcoe substitutes
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2012, 10:32:19 pm »
  After reading some descriptions of hop, I found that the New Zealand High Alpha hop is a fair substitute for Simco.  I have gotten a lot of positive feed back from some of my customers.  Give it a try.

Offline beer_crafter

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2012, 02:41:36 pm »
Simcoe is a high oil hop (2-2.5 mls/100g).
For a sub, I would look for another high oil hop.   It will not make the same beer, but I think that is your best bet to get close.

Yeah, both Citra and Chinook have a different character, but because they're other high oil hops, I'd go in that direction.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2012, 09:15:20 am »
I have heard of a blend of 3 parts Columbus, 2 parts Centennial, and 1 part Chinook may get you reasonably close.  But, I have not tried it.

I gave the Weyerbacher Double Simcoe another try last night after there was some discussion on another thread here about it. I really picked up a lot of similarity with Columbus. There was a lot of dankness. I think the combo with Columbus, Centennial and Chinook makes a lot of sense to me. I think Columbus will get you close with Centennial for some citrus and Chinook for the pine.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2012, 09:50:36 am »
I have heard of a blend of 3 parts Columbus, 2 parts Centennial, and 1 part Chinook may get you reasonably close.  But, I have not tried it.

I gave the Weyerbacher Double Simcoe another try last night after there was some discussion on another thread here about it. I really picked up a lot of similarity with Columbus. There was a lot of dankness. I think the combo with Columbus, Centennial and Chinook makes a lot of sense to me. I think Columbus will get you close with Centennial for some citrus and Chinook for the pine.

I agree. You need a blend to get it remotely close. The pine is what sets it apart and what you never will quite nail without the actual hop.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2012, 10:24:59 am »
I just kegged a DIPA with a blend of Columbus, Cenntenial, Simcoe and Amarillo hops.  I have to say that this might be my all-time favorite blend of hops.  :)
Ron Price

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2012, 10:30:23 am »
I just kegged a DIPA with a blend of Columbus, Cenntenial, Simcoe and Amarillo hops.  I have to say that this might be my all-time favorite blend of hops.  :)

That's what I used to use in my IPA at YH.  :(

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2012, 10:41:16 am »

That's what I used for the Belgian IPA I'm taking to NHC, along with some Chinook and homegrown Cascades.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2012, 10:50:40 am »

Maybe (hopefully) things will change for you next year.  Which hop is hard for you to get...Simcoe?
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2012, 10:51:07 am »

That's what I used for the Belgian IPA I'm taking to NHC, along with some Chinook and homegrown Cascades.

Can't wait to try that one too Denny.  :)
Ron Price

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2012, 12:02:30 pm »

The four hops used in Pliny the Elder......

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2012, 12:47:50 pm »

Almost...but Pliny doesn't have Amarillo.
Ron Price

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2012, 02:15:13 pm »

From what I heard Vinnie is now using Amarillo actually...but maybe thats changed as well?
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2012, 02:25:42 pm »

From what I heard Vinnie is now using Amarillo actually...but maybe thats changed as well?

We'll have to get to the bottom of this... :)
Ron Price

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2012, 02:29:48 pm »
Yes he is using amarillo

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2012, 02:31:21 pm »
Vinnie has said he is using Amarillo now in Pliny. Web site says so too.
https://store-54e42.mybigcommerce.com/brews/pliny-the-elder/

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!