Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ideas for walls?  (Read 3785 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Ideas for walls?
« on: May 17, 2011, 10:28:54 am »
 Trying to decide how to finish the walls off in the new brewery. If I were back in Ohio, I have access to sheets of SS for cheap. I mean, real cheap. Not so here in the high desert. I want to balance the line between cheap, and looks great. Not sure if I am feeling tile or not. Have not ruled it out. Green board, with a good coat of hight gloss paint? Maybe....Dura-rock would look cool, and hold up great, but to hard to wipe down. So, what do you kids got I have not thought of yet?
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
Re: Ideas for walls?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 11:07:16 am »
Hardibacker is similar to durock but its thinner and less coarse.  The sheets are the same size too.  But... drywall works just as well unless you plan on beating the hell out of your walls?  I wouldn't even bother with greenboard either... use a good semi gloss or high gloss paint thats easy to clean and call it good.  Jmo...  ;)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 12:32:13 pm »
I thought about Hardiboard, but it's a pain to cut. Also, I want something really smooth that will wipe down easy. Hardiboard is very porus, and I think it would really soak up the paint.

Not sure it it would stand up to the heat or not, but I was thinking along the lines of a prefabed shower surround. Just around the immediate brewing area. I would basically set my sculpture in it. Once brewing is over, hit the whole thing with the hose, and let it run down the floor drain. Boil overs, spilled hops and grain, all down the drain. Do you think that the burners would be far enough from the surround that I would have to worry about warping, melting, or even fire?

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 01:44:45 pm »
If you want to be able to hose it down and your worried about the heat, I'd tile it.  Hit up Craigslist.  There are always deals on leftovers that people are trying to get rid of.
-J.K.L.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 01:47:58 pm »
greenboard and then tile it no?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline mrbowenz

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 05:20:36 pm »
weazletoe, since you are so very kind to vote for my sheddie  ;D, and you brew without pants and are a brewing inspiration !

I will share a really cool and inexpensive trick of mine: ,

Go the the Lowe"s Depot , and get the aluminum roof flashing in the 16" x30' roll , then some Super 77 3M spray adhesive, a good pair of garden scissors and go to town.( over drywall, paneling ,whatever ) The main joints butt nicely together and the ends you can frame with stock flat  aluminum  bar ( like 1/8" x 3/8 ) , the look is completely stainless, easy to keep clean, extremely inexpensive and the finish can't be beat. I did this even in high heat areas and this is simply a bomber solution . Make your own stainless steel diner for around $ 50 bucks for 8'X10' wall ....!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 06:54:14 pm by mrbowenz »
Brewing up history

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 10:08:27 pm »
 Absolutly genius!! That is exactly what I wil do. Thanks so much for the idea. But just remember, if I take the title from you next year, it just might be this that put me over the edge. You have no one to blame but yourself!   ;D