Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My new chiller  (Read 6167 times)

Offline mxstar21

• Cellarman
My new chiller
« on: May 14, 2011, 01:47:14 am »

All metal pieces are bonded together, I checked continuity with a multi-meter.  I then spray painted it with Plasti-Dip to repel water.  The switch controls the march pump, and the outlet is so I can plug a pond pump into it and push ice cold water through the chiller.  I brew outside and plug the setup into a GFCI outlet, otherwise the outlet on my chiller rig would be a GFCI receptacle.

I tested it tonight with boiling water, and was truly impressed.  It may not look as good, but the cost was no where close to the competition.  I did not put the aeration port into mine, no biggie in my opinion.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: My new chiller
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 02:02:42 am »
AAhh dude. At first I thought that was the sabco jobbie. Nice work man. Got a build list to make it easy on us?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline mxstar21

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 02:09:19 am »
I will see what I can do.  It was pretty easy actually.  The frame is uni-strut, plate-chiller and the entire wort-out fitting assembly came from homebrewtuff.com.  I went to Home Depot and bought the fittings and had them cut the plywood base.  I will try to make a build list in the next day or so if I find some time.

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 08:44:39 am »
Nice! Frugal, quality homebrewing is the mother of invention...
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 09:17:54 am »
That's awesome.  Man, I wish I was crafty like that...I'm so worthless when it comes to build your own kinda stuff.
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 10:53:33 am »
That's awesome.  Man, I wish I was crafty like that...I'm so worthless when it comes to build your own kinda stuff.

You and me both, bud!  99% of the time I'd rather buy it than abuse my meager skills by building something.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 02:27:12 pm »
+1

But I hope your hoses don't ever leak.  They look like they enter the chiller right above the pump?
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline mxstar21

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 03:17:22 am »
AAhh dude. At first I thought that was the sabco jobbie. Nice work man. Got a build list to make it easy on us?

This should be the complete list, hopefully I didn't forget anything.  I am switching to quick-disconnect fittings to make cleaning/back-flushing easier.  Sorry the build list doesn't come out organized.  It looks organized when I type it, but gets all jacked up when I post it.

Home Brew Stuff  (www.homebrewstuff.com)
40 plate wort chiller-$125.99
809-HS March pump-$149.99
Ther-monitor assembly (whole assembly on wort-out side)-$69.99

Home Depot  (prices are approximate, and probably higher since this is priced in Hawaii.)
QTY   Item                               Price
1    Uni-strut                            $16
2    Nylon cone nuts 5 pack      $3.15 ea
4   1/2" 3 hole flat corner bracket   $2.75 ea
2   1/2” 2 hole 90° angle bracket   $1.97 ea
1   8 ½” X 11” plywood          $6
4   bolts, washers, nuts for plywood   free (had on hand)
1   aerosol can of Plasti-Dip      $5.98
1   teflon tape                    $1.26
3   WATTS A-390 hose barb      $3.42
1   8’ft grounded cord                 $10
1   handy box                    $1.14
1   switch/receptacle                 $10
1   black cover plate                 $0.59
1   garden hose adapter         $4

Misc. Sources
5   1 foot high temp tubing      $2.99/foot
3   wire nuts                    free
1   ground screw            free
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 03:25:54 am by mxstar21 »

Offline mxstar21

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 03:31:17 am »
+1

But I hope your hoses don't ever leak.  They look like they enter the chiller right above the pump?

Its hard to tell in the picture, but the pump sits in front of the plate chiller.  However, if the lines leak, they would allow liquid to run down the tubing and onto/into the pump.  My connections are tight, and I had no issues when I tested it with water.  But, I am thinking of adding a thin piece of sheet metal under the chiller and connections to act as a gutter should a leak occur.  Also, the switch I added allows for a quick way to shut the pump off should a leak occur.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 10:20:00 am »
Chiller looks like a Blichman Therminator.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 12:55:00 pm »

+1

I have the Therminator and it looks almost identical just a different sticker on the front face plate.

Nice work mxstar21
Ron Price

Offline mxstar21

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 01:58:44 pm »

+1

I have the Therminator and it looks almost identical just a different sticker on the front face plate.

Nice work mxstar21

Thanks!  It looks pretty similiar to the Blichmann, except the ports are in different spots, and I think the mounting is a little different.  The best part is the price.  Saved quite a bit on it.