Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Arkansas, Chicago, NYC  (Read 5827 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Arkansas, Chicago, NYC
« on: May 18, 2011, 01:02:17 am »
We're coming to visit the US sometime soon. Anybody have recommendations for beer-related things to do in Arkansas? Anybody wanna meet up for a beer or something in Arkansas, Chicago or the NY Metro area?

FWIW I'm going to try to go to Brooklyn Brewery and Sixpoint in NY and Goose Island and Half Acre for brewery visits. Not sure where else to go.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Arkansas, Chicago, NYC
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 01:33:41 am »
How long has it been since you've been back to the States?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 02:13:18 am »
If you listen to the podcast, get in touch with the guys from Basic Brewing Radio.  They're in Arkansas and are really nice.  If they can't meet you out, they should at least be able to recommend some places.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 03:11:01 am »
How long has it been since you've been back to the States?

A little over a year
----

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 03:11:15 am »
If you listen to the podcast, get in touch with the guys from Basic Brewing Radio.  They're in Arkansas and are really nice.  If they can't meet you out, they should at least be able to recommend some places.

Yup, James already owes me a beer.
----

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 05:46:42 am »
FWIW I'm going to try to go to Brooklyn Brewery and Sixpoint in NY and Goose Island and Half Acre for brewery visits. Not sure where else to go.
One of my favorite bars in NYC is the Blind Tiger in the West Village.  I'd rather go there than the Brooklyn Brewery.  Mug's Ale House is around the corner from Brooklyn Brewery if you're in the neighborhood.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 06:05:29 am »
One of my favorite bars in NYC is the Blind Tiger in the West Village.  I'd rather go there than the Brooklyn Brewery.  Mug's Ale House is around the corner from Brooklyn Brewery if you're in the neighborhood.

Hmm, blind tiger is not far from Spotted Pig IIRC. How's their draft selection?
----

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 06:06:47 am »
Revolution Brewing in Chicago. http://revbrew.com/ I got to finally check them out a couple weeks ago. Great beer and food. If you want to travel out to the burbs of Chicago, check out Two Brothers Brewing. http://www.twobrothersbrewing.com/ I might be able to meet up with you for a couple beers when you're in town, just let me know when.
Mark Gres

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 06:32:37 am »

Hmm, blind tiger is not far from Spotted Pig IIRC. How's their draft selection?

How is Blind Tiger's draught selection? My wife had cask gueuze there last week. Best in NY.

Chicago does the food and beer thing very well. Publican (very good food, not a bar, go for dinner and go hungry), Hopleaf and Owen & Engine are good spots. Map Room if you want the old school beer bar vibe, though you'll get that at Blind Tiger in NYC.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 07:21:55 am »
Any tentative dates yet?
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 08:03:05 am »
If you're coming into Little Rock we only have one Micro; Diamond Bear Brewery.  IMO it's really good beer, just not great....yet, that is.  They recently have made plans to move and upgrade the brewery.  Soon they will have a restaurant attached on the North Little Rock side of the Arkansas River.  They have free tours on the weekend and during the week they are always looking for help on the bottling line if you want to get your hands "beery".  For the help, they pay in beer not $$.

We also have a couple of decent Brewpubs.  Vino's has OK house beers but their seasonals are usually fantastic.  Plus they have awesome pizza to boot.  There is also a Bosco's here and of course a Flying Saucer which is gonna be the best place in LR to get a good variety of beers.  80...ish? on tap and probably another hundred in bottles.

-J.K.L.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 08:08:57 am »
If you're coming into Little Rock we only have one Micro; Diamond Bear Brewery.  IMO it's really good beer, just not great....yet, that is.  They recently have made plans to move and upgrade the brewery.  Soon they will have a restaurant attached on the North Little Rock side of the Arkansas River.  They have free tours on the weekend and during the week they are always looking for help on the bottling line if you want to get your hands "beery".  For the help, they pay in beer not $$.

We also have a couple of decent Brewpubs.  Vino's has OK house beers but their seasonals are usually fantastic.  Plus they have awesome pizza to boot.  There is also a Bosco's here and of course a Flying Saucer which is gonna be the best place in LR to get a good variety of beers.  80...ish? on tap and probably another hundred in bottles.

-J.K.L.

I remember Flying Saucer from a long time ago when they first redid the river walk. good to see it's still there.

Does the hotel that used to be the Peabody still have the ducks? Figured the kid would get a kick out of that.
----

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 08:09:37 am »
Revolution Brewing in Chicago. http://revbrew.com/ I got to finally check them out a couple weeks ago. Great beer and food. If you want to travel out to the burbs of Chicago, check out Two Brothers Brewing. http://www.twobrothersbrewing.com/ I might be able to meet up with you for a couple beers when you're in town, just let me know when.

Ah yeah I forgot about those guys! How is Piece these days? When I went there a few times back when I lived in Chicago I loved it.
----

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 08:44:24 am »

-J.K.L.

I remember Flying Saucer from a long time ago when they first redid the river walk. good to see it's still there.

Does the hotel that used to be the Peabody still have the ducks? Figured the kid would get a kick out of that.

They ducks on the roof?  Yeah, they're still there.  If it has been that long since you've been here, you'll be surprised how much it's grown.  Well, it's no Chi-town or NYC...yet, but the Rivermarket district has some really great bars and restaurants now.  It's still real laid back here, though.  I hope you have a good time.
-J.K.L.
-J.K.L. 

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 08:47:56 am »

Ah yeah I forgot about those guys! How is Piece these days? When I went there a few times back when I lived in Chicago I loved it.
Haven't been to Piece in a while, but I'm sure they're still cranking out great beers and pizza. You should make your way there as well.
Mark Gres