Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Undercarbonated bottles  (Read 4995 times)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Undercarbonated bottles
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 06:29:01 am »
How did you mix in your priming sugar (oh, and I assume you really meant 4 oz not 4 gms)?  If it wasn't thouroughly mixed with the wort, you could have some bottles with almost no carb and others that could have a lot.

Yes, 4 oz of priming sugar.  I boiled it in a couple of cups of water, let it cool, then put it in my bottling bucket and then racked on top of that, so I would think it is pretty evenly mixed.

I used to have unreliable carbonation problems like this until I started stirring the wort with the priming sugar in the bottling bucket.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline sobrien

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2012, 08:13:24 pm »
I have had similar problems with my last two batches.  One bottle would be almost over carbonated while three others seemed under carbonated.  The undercarbonated bottles were bland.  There was still a noise when popping the top but the head was almost non existent.

My guess is I need to stirr the wort after I rack to the bottling bucket. But I thought stirring the wort was bad.   If I stir the wort in the bottling bucket, am I opening myself up to getting more sediment in my bottles? 

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2012, 10:17:28 pm »
I have had similar problems with my last two batches.  One bottle would be almost over carbonated while three others seemed under carbonated.  The undercarbonated bottles were bland.  There was still a noise when popping the top but the head was almost non existent.

My guess is I need to stirr the wort after I rack to the bottling bucket. But I thought stirring the wort was bad.   If I stir the wort in the bottling bucket, am I opening myself up to getting more sediment in my bottles? 

be gentle with it and it will be fine. Don't worry to much about the sediment. If you are getting a lot of sediment in the bottling bucket try holding the racking cane a little above the bottom of the primary fermenter when syphoning. you lose a little beer but if you are worried about sediment it will take care of most of it.

The potential danger of stirring to aggresively is that the beer will get oxegenated which can lead to problems of oxidation down the road. but if you are gentle, no worries!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline sobrien

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2012, 11:02:47 am »
Thanks.