Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast 1450  (Read 41618 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: Wyeast 1450
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2010, 07:45:22 am »
So, I would say that the yeast is great for darker beers and maltier ones, but not my first choice in a standard west coast pale ale or IPA.

Interesting. I'd say it's my favorite IPA yeast.

Its #1 or 2.  There's an old hippie I know that would say its his favorite IPA yeast too.

Interesting comments though - I do agree it makes awesome porters and stouts, but I think its one of the most versatile strains out there (which makes me happy now that its year round).

YMMV
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2010, 09:36:39 am »
So, I would say that the yeast is great for darker beers and maltier ones, but not my first choice in a standard west coast pale ale or IPA.

Interesting. I'd say it's my favorite IPA yeast.

Same here....it's my go to yeast for every APA or AIPA that I make.  Remember, this yeast became my favorite by using it in Rye IPA.  I'll be using it in a batch of Old Stoner BW in a couple weeks.

"Old hippie"?????  I represent that remark!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2010, 01:12:58 pm »
Same here....it's my go to yeast for every APA or AIPA that I make.  Remember, this yeast became my favorite by using it in Rye IPA.

Having just tapped Denny's Rye IPA last night (brewed exactly to his specifications - no substitutions), I think I overstated my point earlier, because Rye IPA with 1450 is pretty spectacular. But 1450 still isn't my favorite strain when it comes to dry, hoppy beers of the west coast variety - my Amarillo IPA came out rather McMenamins-esque with regards to hop character. But 1450 is my favorite strain for American-style ales of the more balanced persuasion.

Though I haven't tried it, yet, I agree that it screams "stout."

Offline blatz

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2010, 01:23:29 pm »
my Amarillo IPA came out rather McMenamins-esque with regards to hop character.

have you made this IPA before with another strain? 

the reason I ask is that while I love Amarillos, I really don't like them as a single IPA for the fact that their bitterness and flavor come across as 'soft'.  they work well taming down some of the more aggresive ones, and are wonderful as aroma hops, but they can't seem to give you that enamel scraping hop goodness like some of the others.  I made an all Amarillo IPA once and had similar comments to yours.  JMO.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2010, 02:37:30 pm »

have you made this IPA before with another strain? 

the reason I ask is that while I love Amarillos, I really don't like them as a single IPA for the fact that their bitterness and flavor come across as 'soft'.  they work well taming down some of the more aggresive ones, and are wonderful as aroma hops, but they can't seem to give you that enamel scraping hop goodness like some of the others.  I made an all Amarillo IPA once and had similar comments to yours.  JMO.

I made a similar IPA recipe with all-summit and S-04 just before I made the Amarillo IPA. Of course there were fewer hops in the Summit one (because of the higher AA percentage). And I used English malt in the Amarillo IPA (Crisp MO and Simpson's Medium Crystal), and American malt in the Summit IPA (Briess Pale and Briess 60L). The beers were the same SRM, IBU (on paper), OG and FG. I mashed both at 150. There were 4 oz hops in the Summit IPA and 6 oz in the Amarillo IPA.

It is possible that what you say about Amarillo is true, that they are a "character actor" in the hop world (I have had great experience using Amarillo with Centennial). But what is really lacking in my beer isn't "bitterness" or "harshness" but hop flavor and aroma. It's all there, just hidden under a deeper malt character than expected. I will have to try another IPA with 1450... I have no shortage of Cascade, Summit, Simcoe, Willamette, or Nelson Sauvin at the moment... Maybe a Summit/Cascade/Simcoe IPA?

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2010, 07:41:13 am »
I'm ordering a pack of 1450 late this afternoon so I'll get to try it for the first time.  I think I'll like it from the description and what everybody has said about it.  I was going to brew this weekend but its too damn cold so hopefully the weather will warm up a bit and I can make an IPA.  How is it for PA's?

Offline blatz

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2010, 08:10:21 am »
  How is it for PA's?

Maybe an APA to start.

goes well with a simcoe/amarillo pale ale, I can attest!

;)

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2010, 09:41:26 am »
  How is it for PA's?

Maybe an APA to start.

goes well with a simcoe/amarillo pale ale, I can attest!

;)

also a cascade pale ale as I can attest
Joe

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2010, 07:48:53 am »
It is really fun to brew a double batch and split it between two different yeasts to what an impact the yeast truly has on the final beer...from what I have done there is a big difference between 1450 and 1056 in the same wort ;D

What did you brew bo?  I'm thinking of making an 11 gallon batch and splitting it so I can do 1/2 with S-05 and 1/2 with 1450.  It will be a pale or blonde ale with an OG around 1.039 to 1.042 so it will be a starter for the 1450.   ;D  I'm waiting for MrMalty to load as I type this to see if I can do it.  I'm curious to what differences I might expect between the two?

I'm expecting my order to arrive today so I'll find out the manufacture date but I'm supposing its going to be quite fresh.  Even if it was made only a couple of weeks ago MrMalty says I need to make a starter about 1.5 quarts.  I would have thought an SG that low would be fine to pitch a single pack without a starter... any thoughts on it?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 07:58:10 am by dean »

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2010, 10:07:49 am »

I would have thought an SG that low would be fine to pitch a single pack without a starter... any thoughts on it?

IME, starters seem to be a good idea with this yeast.  

But I bet you would be fine at 1.040.

Have Fun! :)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 10:43:44 am by pinnah »

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
    • Bristle Bros. Brewing Blog
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2010, 10:24:08 am »
Interesting to read the origin of a "celebrity" yeast strain such as this.   ;)

I guess you've made it when you have your own yeast strain, eh?  So Denny, do you get royalties each time it is pitched?   :D

Inquiring minds want to know.  Anybody have the details on that other celebrity strain? 
Dave Brush

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2010, 10:40:01 am »

I guess you've made it when you have your own yeast strain, eh?  So Denny, do you get royalties each time it is pitched?   :D

Uh, yeah....that's why I've retired and moved to the Bahamas!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2010, 10:49:34 am »

The beer sucks and the water is worse for brewing
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2010, 10:53:41 am »

must be nice... :D

My guess is that it would be tough to grow hops down there.
Ron Price

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2010, 11:07:01 am »

The beer sucks and the water is worse for brewing

Hey, Kalik isn't all that but the (relatively) new Sands stuff isn't half bad.
Joe