Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cherry Beer HELP?  (Read 11519 times)

Offline free4all5626

• 1st Kit
Re: Cherry Beer HELP?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 07:23:53 pm »
Question on the cherries as I have read this thread closely and am going to make a Berliner Weisse soured with White Labs WLP630 yeast and racking on the cherries in secondary. Taking fresh whole cherries is cleaning them simply by rinsing with water adequate?? Or is there another way to rid the pesticides???

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 07:28:55 pm »
Question on the cherries as I have read this thread closely and am going to make a Berliner Weisse soured with White Labs WLP630 yeast and racking on the cherries in secondary. Taking fresh whole cherries is cleaning them simply by rinsing with water adequate?? Or is there another way to rid the pesticides???

I recommend soaking the whole cherries in  cool water for an hour and then rinsing them. Then I recommend freezing them to help control any wild bacteria plus it helps to break down the cherry pulp for secondary ferment.
Ron Price

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 07:33:33 pm »

not really any way to get rid of all the pesticide residue except to use organic cherries.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2011, 07:38:56 pm »

not really any way to get rid of all the pesticide residue except to use organic cherries.

True. It's a crapshoot as with all produce unless you go organic.

Most pesticides are water soluble and a mild soap solution will also help remove the pesticide.
Ron Price

Offline brians

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2011, 02:06:26 pm »
I've got about 18 lbs of tart cherries in the freezer. I rinsed them in star-san prior to freezing. Anyone else do this, or am I just wasting star-san?

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2011, 02:41:20 pm »
I've got about 18 lbs of tart cherries in the freezer. I rinsed them in star-san prior to freezing. Anyone else do this, or am I just wasting star-san?

Starsan will sanitize the outer skin of the cherry as long as the cherries were clean to begin with. 
Ron Price

Offline brians

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2011, 09:58:04 pm »
Thanks. Last question on the subject: I'm thinking of doing a Belgian blonde style base with the cherries in secondary. What is everyone's thought on a brett spp. like bruxellnesis in secondary w/ the cherries?

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2011, 03:29:18 am »
Brett in secondary = yummy.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2011, 09:32:04 am »
ok, will do, but contamination/infection is not going to be and issue, after one week of primary before fruit addition?

I just get paranoid about that, and this will be my first fruit.  (i like to do "hop teas" instead of pure dry hop to counter my paranoia of contamination, so I'm paranoid as it is, b/c I have had one instance of contamination in my homebrewing career to date, and it came from a secondary addition(I think))
I can't comment on the cherries because I have never used them, but I can comment on the contamination.

Work on getting over you parinoia, my brewing brother. It is holding you back. In 26 years I have never had a contamminated batch and have done every unorthodoxed thing you can think of to beer; going elbow deep to retrieve O-rings & thermomters, forgetting to put the lid on the bucket for several days, etc...

I've dumped a few that were un-drinkable, but not due to contamination ;D. My next, or current one, may become so because I am due. :P But I have been able to make some good and interesting beers because of it.

A sensable approach to cleanleness and sanitation and understanding the difference is all that is required.

I have never heard of a batch being contaminated due to dry hopping. Not saying it hasn't happened, but contamination was probably caused by something else and was going to happen anyway. No cause and effect to quantify here.

On the next batch you want to dry hop, wash your hands, take out the hops, close your eyes and take a deep breath and set both the hops and your brewing spirit free. :D
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline nofunsally

• Cellarman
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2011, 11:15:59 am »
Another thing about cherry pits via kirsch entry in the Encyclopedia Britannica:
kirsch, also called Kirschwasser, dry, colourless brandy distilled from the fermented juice of the black morello cherry. Kirsch is made in the Black Forest of Germany, across the Rhine River in Alsace (France), and in the German-speaking cantons of Switzerland. Its production methods remain traditional. The fully ripened cherries are mashed in a large wooden tub or vat and allowed to ferment freely. Upon completion of this process, the entire mass—liquid, pulp, and cherry stones—is distilled in a pot still. During the mashing some of the cherry stones, or pits, are crushed, releasing some of their oils and acids. These include small amounts of hydrocyanic acid, which impart a distinctive bitter almond undertone to the beverage. Kirsch is not aged. It is marketed at 90 to 100 proof, in the clear white (colourless) state it comes off the still. It is a fruit brandy with a clean cherry fragrance and bitter almond taste. Kirsch is consumed neat, as brandy, and in cocktails and is also used in cooking as a flavouring

So maybe less worries about cyanide when pits aren't crushed?

- Mike

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2011, 01:13:11 pm »
No interest in poisoning myself with something (or at high levels) that my body can't handle, but if our bodies can metabolize small amounts of these toxins, then it begs the question:  Can yeast (saccharomyces and brettanomyces sp.) and bacteria (pediococcus) metabolize these toxins?  It would seem that they can.

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxfaqs/tf.asp?id=71&tid=19

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/ToxProfiles/TP.asp?id=72&tid=19

http://www.functionaltechcorp.com/s/Urethane.asp

http://www.fda.gov/food/foodsafety/foodcontaminantsadulteration/chemicalcontaminants/ethylcarbamateurethane/ucm078546.htm

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2011, 02:50:46 pm »
One thing to think about with trying to get more flavor out of your cherries... freeze them, once thawed, give them a light crush, just enough to kinda half way juice them, take that juice and boil it down to a syrup then add that to secondary with the cherries... should give you a stronger flavor.
Phoenix, AZ