Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Should I FWH a Saison  (Read 1828 times)

Offline beer_crafter

• Assistant Brewer
Should I FWH a Saison
« on: June 09, 2011, 02:16:50 pm »
I am going to make my first saison with French Saison yeast (WY3711) this weekend. Shooting for 6.0 ABV.... a nice summer beer.
Got some Sorachi Ace hops, because that's what people are doing these days, I guess! 

I loved the Saisons in Belgium... dry and BITTER!  None of this sweet, spicy nonesense.

Should I FWH the Sorachis?  What is the flavor like?  Is the flavor very non-traditional in the context of a saison?  I don't think of saisons as having a lot of hop flavor anyway.   

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Should I FWH a Saison
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 03:23:12 pm »
the main descriptor I've seen attached to Sorachi is 'lemon'

As for whether or not you should do it, of course you should!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline csi

• 1st Kit
Many thanks from CSI
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 12:33:26 pm »
We drop in now and again just to thank everyone for helping to make our start-up a success. Two months after our initial promotion we can officially say that we have been well received and our products have done well. We brewed with our syrups for quite a while before releasing them into the wild so we weren't completely surprised by this but we wanted to say thank you for giving us the opportunity to prove our hard work.

This coming year some of our long-aged brews will be sent around the country to demonstrate the results of our candi syrups, (our brew of Denny's 400th won't be ready for at least 8 months but that is for our medicinal consumption :) ) . We also hope to be at the NHC next year. Running CSI has been very close to 16/7 so we haven't had too much free time. Now that we've hit our stride and are selling some bulk and have some vendors on board we will be adding new products periodically as well. Sorry for the promotion mania. Getting the word out is uphill even when you have a very good product. I think you'll all find our syrups will exceed your expectations. Again, many thanks for giving us a chance to prove ourselves. We are grateful.

Cheers/Skol/Salute'

Michael Williams
Senior Partner, Candi Syrup, Inc.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 12:35:38 pm by csi »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Should I FWH a Saison
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 12:45:51 pm »
Hi Michael.  Thanks for dropping in!  I'm loving your products and my next brew will be a tripel using Simplicity!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell