Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Saving Yeast  (Read 2225 times)

Offline bassface74

• Cellarman
Saving Yeast
« on: May 16, 2011, 01:25:12 pm »
I'm going to transfer a porter to a secondary soon and I want to reuse the british ale yeast.  I won't brew again for about a week after and wondered if I can just sanitize a 1/2 gallon growler, funnel in the yeast from the fermentor, cap it tight and let it sit in the fridge to be used again?  Let me know if it's that easy, haha!  I'll of course sanitize everything that comes in contact with it.  I'm making an oatmeal stout with roughly the same grain bill so I'm sure it would be decent. 

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: Saving Yeast
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 01:36:43 pm »
You might consider giving the yeast a rinse by boiling and chilling a quart or so of water, dumping that on the yeast cake and swirling that around to loosen it up and make it easier to pour out. Pour that out into a larger (I use a two quart cambro to wash) sanitized holder. Cover toss in the fridge and let the trub/yeast/"beer" stratify out for an hour or two. Decant off the "beer", pour the middle layer of good creamy yeast into your growler or jar and leave behind the dark trub.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 02:06:20 pm »
I quit rinsing yeast. I don't see any benefits. You probably need less than one cup of slurry. One cup into five gallons is too small to notice. I'd pitch from a porter to a cream ale. It's not noticeable with normal pitch rates. I think leaving it in the beer may be better. The alcohol and lower pH help keep the contaminates from multiplying. I just rack the beer and dump the cake into a quart jar. I prefer to use it within two weeks. 1/2 cup works about as well as a pack of dry yeast.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 02:11:56 pm by Malticulous »

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 02:30:53 pm »
Does anybody use ziploc bags?  I thought I remembered reading about some guys dumping the cake into a freezer bag then just cutting the corner of the bag when going into the next fermenter.  The Idea was that they didn't need to be sanitized but I've never done it myself.   
-J.K.L.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 02:45:47 pm »
If you use a growler, don't cap it too tight.  Refrigeration will slow down the yeast, but it won't stop it.  You don't want to be picking glass out of your fridge!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 03:06:07 pm »
Does anybody use ziploc bags?  I thought I remembered reading about some guys dumping the cake into a freezer bag then just cutting the corner of the bag when going into the next fermenter.  The Idea was that they didn't need to be sanitized but I've never done it myself.   
-J.K.L.

I've done it a few times - works fine, IMO. 

I just have so many mason jars I use those by habit.  Plus if there's something I can wash and reuse rather than use plastic, I prefer that. 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 03:43:40 pm »
If you use a growler, don't cap it too tight.  Refrigeration will slow down the yeast, but it won't stop it.  You don't want to be picking glass out of your fridge!
Also wouldn't just covering it with foil work?  I'm planning on doing this for my next string of brews.
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 03:53:09 pm »
Also wouldn't just covering it with foil work?  I'm planning on doing this for my next string of brews.

Yeah, that would be fine.  I put a rubber band around the foil just to be sure it stays put.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 04:38:53 pm »

Yeah, that would be fine.  I put a rubber band around the foil just to be sure it stays put.
Right on!  I'm there!
Jesse