Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A Call to Action - Speed Brewing  (Read 10006 times)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: A Call to Action - Speed Brewing
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 09:27:41 am »
Shush, you. You're officially the enemy of the "Speedy Brewer Force"! :)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 09:30:20 am »

Dude, I ain't nobody's enemy!  I'm just a mellow old hippie....;)

FTR, Rye IPA from brewing to keg in 8 days...once.....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 09:41:09 am »
I'm just a mellow old hippie....;)

Knowing that in a few more weeks I'm going to be locked in a room with you, I respectfully disagree with your characterization as "mellow" instead of "ripe"! :)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 01:33:52 pm »
My last best bitter went from pitch to pint in 9 days, but the Maris Otter flavors didn't shine fully until about day 14.  I attribute that to yeast bite in the fresh brew, although it never did clear up completely and I didn't take measures to quick-clear (cold crash or gelatin).
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2011, 01:58:46 pm »
If the beer says "I'm done, drink me!", cool.  But if the beer is saying "hold on, bub, I need more time" and you go ahead and drink it anyway you may be doing yourself a disservice.  Believe me, I've been on both sides of that fence.

Is that where you found the mushrooms that make the beer talk?   ;D
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2011, 02:03:19 pm »
I brewed my dad a breakfast stout that we were drinking from the bottle in 16 days.  (This past Thanksgiving)

1.045 OG, 2 packs of rehydrated nottingham.  within 36 hours, gravity was down to 1.013.  crashed it in the lager fridge after a total of 3 days and bottled it 4 days later.

It turned out pretty darn tasty actually.  Quite clear.  Nutty, roasty, coffee-y.  Real creamy from over a pound of flaked oats and some malted wheat.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2011, 02:25:45 pm »
If the beer says "I'm done, drink me!", cool.  But if the beer is saying "hold on, bub, I need more time" and you go ahead and drink it anyway you may be doing yourself a disservice.  Believe me, I've been on both sides of that fence.

Those were in the woods behind the house, man...
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011, 05:30:21 pm »

Bret squeegees beer off computer screen...
Member #: 900000767

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2011, 06:30:05 pm »

Dude, I ain't nobody's enemy!  I'm just a mellow old hippie....;)

FTR, Rye IPA from brewing to keg in 8 days...once.....

OH SNAP!

Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2011, 09:50:52 pm »
I am a day late, but I am brewing a red ale to make a run for it. I have a huge beer meeting on the 4th of June. Let's see how it goes. Mashing now. Nailed my mash temp...

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2011, 08:14:30 am »
I had an ordinary bitter that was done fermenting in 4 days.  If I had the time I would have bottled it up then and had it ready to drink within another week or so.  I ended up leaving it in the primary for 9 days then bottling it. It turned out very well.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2011, 09:21:04 am »
2 years ago for Oktoberfest I got ready to brew my hefe and realized I had no hefe yeast.  Since I have to mail order everything and didn't have time(it was Wednesday 10 days before the party. My daughter and I bought a bunch of different American and German bottle conditioned hefes and commenced to drinking.  As we poured each bottle into a glass we pour the bottle dregs into my starter flask.  By Friday I had a great looking starter going so I brewed.  Wednesday it was down to around 1.015 so I kegged it and cold crashed it for 2 days.  Friday I racked it into clean kegs and force carbonated it.  The first keg was tapped at noon and lasted an hour.  The second keg was tapped that evening and lasted until the next day.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2011, 10:01:15 am »
2 years ago for Oktoberfest I got ready to brew my hefe and realized I had no hefe yeast.  Since I have to mail order everything and didn't have time(it was Wednesday 10 days before the party. My daughter and I bought a bunch of different American and German bottle conditioned hefes and commenced to drinking.  As we poured each bottle into a glass we pour the bottle dregs into my starter flask.  By Friday I had a great looking starter going so I brewed.  Wednesday it was down to around 1.015 so I kegged it and cold crashed it for 2 days.  Friday I racked it into clean kegs and force carbonated it.  The first keg was tapped at noon and lasted an hour.  The second keg was tapped that evening and lasted until the next day.
It's always been said that they don't use the original wheat beer yeast to bottle condition, so I must ask if the beer you made had the clove/banana characteristics of a wheat beer.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2011, 06:07:06 pm »
I am a day late, but I am brewing a red ale to make a run for it. I have a huge beer meeting on the 4th of June. Let's see how it goes. Mashing now. Nailed my mash temp...

Fermenting like a madman! I must add that I used a yeast cake off a finished beer. Racked the old off, and new on.
6 hours and had full activity. 9 hours and the white cap blew off the center port on my fermenter cap...Thankfully
there was serious positive pressure. The hose was not bubbling, it was hissing... :o

Right on track, I think... ;D

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2011, 07:09:46 pm »
It's always been said that they don't use the original wheat beer yeast to bottle condition, so I must ask if the beer you made had the clove/banana characteristics of a wheat beer.
It had a slight banana flavor because it fermented a little too warm.  Sine it was muted I figured that most of the dregs were not hefe yeast but at least one must have had some hefe.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico