Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A Call to Action - Speed Brewing  (Read 9945 times)

Offline darvyle

• Cellarman
Re: A Call to Action - Speed Brewing
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2011, 03:45:01 pm »
Challenge Accepted.

I saw this challenge last week and decided to give it a try.  I have a Ordinary Bitters recipe that i developed to give this a go.  It was perfect timing because this weekend we are having a family get together and I'll debut it there along with the red ale I made weeks before.

Cooley's 7 day Ale (makes 11 gallons)
Brew house Efficiency 68%
Mash 154F
60 minute boil
OG 1.036
FG 1.010
13 lbs 2 row
3 lbs crystal 40
2 oz Fuggles 60 minutes
1 oz Kent Goldings 15 minutes left
1 oz Kent Goldings 5 minutes left
4 pkgs Safale SO-4

Here is a picture of what it looks like

My week went like this.
Friday 2pm Pitch yeast
Sunday Evening when fermentation was complete put fermenting bucket in fridge.
Tuesday Evening siphon to keg and force carbonate at 30 psi
Thursday Morning move Keg to serving fridge.
Thursday Evening partake in beer.

Findings
The fermentation took off and because of that and the unusually warm weather this time of year this beer fermented on the higher end of its accepted range and a bit over.  I normally try to keep the beer on the colder end of it's excepted temperature range, but with trying to knock a beer out quick, fermenting on the higher end of its excepted temperature range might be required to keep the yeasts at fully active.  Keeping a close eye on temperatures is what i would do next time.  The beer does taste a bit young, it may not win any competitions but if I needed beer in a pinch this would work nicely.

There was not a lot of time to take gravity readings so when I hit my Target Gravity i just said it was done and began chilling it.  Normally i let a beer sit for another few days to confirm fermentation was complete.  Considering I'm a few days under the limit I would add that into my schedule next time.

Conclusion
This was the first time I've ever brewed a beer below 1.050, I normally stick with Denny's mantra of "Life starts at 60... 1.060 that is" it was a nice experiment for me and will give me something nice and light to drink on those hot summer days.

I hope this gives everyone a decent view into my brewing week if you have any question I'll try and answer them the best i can.

Regards,
Michael

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2011, 06:47:35 pm »
This is My first AG beer from 8 years ago that I pulled off in 9 days.  I'm actually going to be brewing this beer for the 3rd time trying to recreate it in a few weeks.  I'm missing the alpha acid percentages from the original batch.  The ones listed are just the ones given by Beersmith.  Rookie Mistakes...lol. I credit the Burton Ale yeast for the wonderful fruity flavors in this beer.  I just recently noticed that this yeast works pretty well at higher ale temps which may have been my downfall on the last attempt.  Initially I used a t-shirt and water bath to try to keep the temps stable but I bet I was pushing into the mid-70's.  I think I'm going to give it a go at 70-72 this go around.

-J.K.L.

1st Timer's Pale Ale
American Pale Ale

Type: All Grain
 Date: 11/23/2003
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
 Brewer: JKLEE
Boil Size: 6.30 gal Asst Brewer: 
Boil Time: 60 min  Equipment: My Equipment 
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0  Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00
Taste Notes: 
Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 83.33 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 8.33 %
1.00 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 8.33 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 18.1 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (45 min) Hops 7.5 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (45 min) Hops 6.8 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (30 min) Hops 11.4 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (30 min) Hops 6.3 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 9.0 IBU
1 Pkgs Burton Ale (White Labs #WLP023) Yeast-Ale 

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.051 SG
 Measured Original Gravity: 1.051 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.84 %  Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.21 %
Bitterness: 59.1 IBU Calories: 225 cal/pint
Est Color: 9.8 SRM Color: Color 

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 12.00 lb
Sparge Water: 3.99 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Mash In Add 15.00 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2011, 01:20:32 am »
*bumpity bump bump* - I'm writing this article right here and now.. so if you've got some things to say - say em.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline Tristan

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bastage Inc.
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2011, 12:58:06 pm »
Got a great "English Summer Ale" Recipe that goes from grain to glass in 10 days (including gelatin finings).  

Day 1: Brew day.  Nice easy beer that you can knock out in 4 hours.

Day 6: Cold crash to 35

Day 7:  Gelatin Finings

Day 9: Rack to kegs and carbonate by shaking 5 minutes at 25 PSI

Day 10:  Enjoy!

The base recipe was gathered from a great talk on real ales last year at NHC in the twin cities.  Here is the modified recipe:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Bastage Summer Ale 3
Brewer: Bastage!
Asst Brewer: Danielle!
Style: Standard/Ordinary Bitter
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal      
Boil Size: 6.70 gal
Estimated OG: 1.035 SG
Estimated Color: 4.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 25.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 78.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
5 lbs 2.1 oz  Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)          Grain        78.56 %      
14.1 oz       Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)                     Grain        13.48 %      
5.3 oz        White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)                Grain        5.05 %        
3.0 oz        Simpsons Caramalt 30 - 37L (33.5 SRM)     Grain        2.91 %        
0.56 oz       Magnum [12.50 %]  (60 min)                Hops         25.9 IBU      
1.85 ml       Phos 75% (Mash 5.0 min)                   Misc                      
3.00 gm       Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min)          Misc                                        
5.00 gm       Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min)  Misc                      
9.00 gal      RO Water                                  Water                      
1 Pkgs        London Ale Yeast (Wyeast)     Yeast-Ale                  

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 6.53 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp    
50 min        Mash In            Add 10.01 qt of water at 166.7 F    151.0 F      
15 min        Mash Out           Add 6.01 qt of water at 203.1 F     168.0 F      

Here is my "American Bitter", a scaled down session version of my "Vienna Pale Ale."  Grain to glass in 12 days.  Here is the schedule

Day 1: Brew day

Day 5: Transfer to secondary and dry hop for 3 days with 2.5 oz of hops per 5 gallons

Day 8: Cold Crash to 35F

Day 9: Add Gelatin

Day 11: Keg and force carbonate by shaking for 5 minutes at 25 PSI

Day 12:  Drink and enjoy!

Here is the recipe:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Bastage Small PA
Brewer: Bastage!
Asst Brewer: Danielle!
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 11.00 gal      
Boil Size: 12.99 gal
Estimated OG: 1.035 SG
Estimated Color: 6.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 30.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 79.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
10 lbs        Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)                     Grain        74.31 %      
1 lbs         British Crystal 30-37 (37.0 SRM)          Grain        7.43 %        
1 lbs         Munich Type II (9.0 SRM)                  Grain        7.43 %        
12.5 oz       Munich Malt  (12.0 SRM)                   Grain        5.80 %        
10.8 oz       White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)                Grain        5.03 %        
1.38 oz       Citra [13.00 %]  (Dry Hop 3 days)        Hops          -            
1.38 oz       Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %]  (Dry Hop 3 Hops          -            
0.52 oz       Magnum [12.50 %]  (60 min)                Hops         12.1 IBU      
0.44 oz       Amarillo Gold [8.50 %]  (30 min)          Hops         5.3 IBU      
0.33 oz       Centennial [10.00 %]  (20 min)            Hops         3.7 IBU      
0.58 oz       Centennial [10.00 %]  (15 min)            Hops         5.4 IBU      
0.58 oz       Centennial [10.00 %]  (10 min)            Hops         3.9 IBU      
1.38 oz       Cascade [5.50 %]  (Dry Hop 3 days)       Hops          -            
0.92 tsp      Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days)         Misc                      
2.02 items    Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 min)           Misc                      
2.40 ml       Phosphoric Acid - 75% (Mash 0.0 min)      Misc                      
9.17 gm       Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min)          Misc                      
16.50 gm      Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min)  Misc                      
1 Pkgs        American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)          Yeast-Ale                  

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13.46 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp    
60 min        Mash In            Add 17.91 qt of water at 169.1 F    153.0 F      
5 min         Step               Add 8.87 qt of water at 206.1 F     168.0 F      
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 03:45:08 pm by Tristan »
Bastage Brewery:
Primary: ESB
Kegged: Baltic Porter|Blackened Doo Doo|CAP|German Pils|Infinity India Black Ale|Maibock|Munich Dunkel|Panty Raid APA|Schwartzbier|Turbo Coffee Porter
Next: Sweet Bidness Stout|Bastagewine

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2011, 04:14:07 am »
I had done a standard bitter that was start-to-finish (drinking from the keg) in one week. It's definitely possible, and will taste like beer, but even something as simple as that beer really needed a few extra weeks to come into its own. Tell you what I did, though - I hooked it up to my hop rocket. Giving something a metric crapton of aroma hops on dispense does a lot to make things fade into the background, especially stuff that would normally fade over time.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2011, 12:12:04 pm »
I served a robust porter at a outdoor get together saturday night the 16th. I brewed it on July 4th. It was pretty good. No special tricks except force carbing and finnings. Finning really makes a differnce.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2011, 12:42:11 pm »
I served a robust porter at a outdoor get together saturday night the 16th. I brewed it on July 4th. It was pretty good. No special tricks except force carbing and finnings. Finning really makes a differnce.

yeah but it's really mean to the sharks
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2011, 08:22:51 pm »
mmmmm....  Shark fin beer.....   ;D
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2011, 12:42:16 am »

yeah but it's really mean to the sharks

Japanese beer?
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2011, 06:46:13 pm »
I feel like I'm back in the third grade. Yeah spelling was never my strong suite.

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2011, 07:40:56 pm »
Although I realize the bright glow of a clarified beer is attractive to most beer drinkers, to me the aesthetics of a brew comes second to having my homebrew include only 4 ingredients; water, malt, hops and yeast..

There's nothing wrong with adding finnings to clarify a beer, but just not in mine.

It's still possible to speed brew and create a beer worthy of serving, that will hold up to any commercial finned brew.
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2011, 05:11:27 pm »
Do you leave the fins attached?  I would think that a live shark would be reusable for multiple batches, though perhaps it may get a bit pickled?
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2011, 06:16:12 am »
Do you leave the fins attached?  I would think that a live shark would be reusable for multiple batches, though perhaps it may get a bit pickled?

Two words:  Dogfish Head... :D
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2011, 07:04:51 am »
I've always wanted a thermostatically controlled, electric hot liquor tank. I would be able to turn it on before making coffee on brew day and the water would be hot and ready to go when I was.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2011, 05:18:34 am »
I feel like I'm back in the third grade. Yeah spelling was never my strong suite.

As in bridal suite? Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll go punish myself now.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....