Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Old Ale  (Read 6397 times)

Offline bo_gator

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Old Ale
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 12:05:34 pm »
That looks good to me. Pretty typical of the Old Ale recipes I have seen. Please let us know how that yeast goes.

I have some that blend still sitting around and am thinking about re-doing my Old Ale with it.

Here is my recipe I brew on June 14th 2008. ts is based off of the BCS recipe,and recently it has done well in some competitions. The Burton yeast was the primary one used to ferment the beer. After a year or so I was going to bottle it,so I pitched the US-05 and S-23 since I was going to re-yeast with one of them,and was a safety measure to make sure I didn't get bottle bombs.

Elijah Wallace Old Ale
5.25 gallons
1 lbs Black Treacle [Boil for 15 min] Extract 4.44 %
20 lbs 8.0 oz Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (2.1 SRM) Grain 91.11 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 3.33 %
4.0 oz Black Malt (TF) (458.0 SRM) Grain 1.11 %
1.50 oz Nugget [11.60 %] (60 min) Hops 65.3 IBU
0 Pkgs Burton Ale (White Labs #WLP023) [Cultured] Yeast-Ale 
1 Pkgs US-05 (Saf-ale #US-05) Yeast-Ale 
1 Pkgs SafLager West European Lager (DCL Yeast #S-23) [Add to Secondary] Yeast-Lager 

All views expressed in the above post are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of any other member of the AHA, BJCP, or home brew community at large.   

Home Brew’s curmudgeon at large

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 08:49:40 pm »
I have a smack pack of WYEAST9097 Old Ale Blend and LOTS of sacks of Maris Otter laying around that I need to use. Never brewed an old ale before. I have a lot of crystal in the recipe because of the Brett strain in the yeast blend. Also bumped up the hops quite a bit, maybe too much? Take a look see and see what ya'll think.

Ol' Crusty
Old Ale
6 gallons
OG 1.080
IBU ~90

15 lbs Maris Otter (Thomas Faucett)
2lbs Crystal 80L

2 oz Challenger (8aa) @ 60
2 oz EKG (5.5 aa) @ 30 min
2 oz EKG *5.5 aa) @ 5 min

Time warp!!!!

This beer turned out awesome. It was damn near undrinkable a year ago. Got the courage to try it again tonight and - whoa!!! One of the best Old Ales I ever tasted. The brett in the WY strain is perfectly balanced. Really nice cherry pie tartness coming through. I brewed a side batch with all US-05, and while it is pretty good it does not compare to the complexity of the WY strain. Gonna have to brew this one again - maybe barrel age it!

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 09:01:25 am »
Time warp!!!!

This beer turned out awesome. It was damn near undrinkable a year ago. Got the courage to try it again tonight and - whoa!!! One of the best Old Ales I ever tasted. The brett in the WY strain is perfectly balanced. Really nice cherry pie tartness coming through. I brewed a side batch with all US-05, and while it is pretty good it does not compare to the complexity of the WY strain. Gonna have to brew this one again - maybe barrel age it!

Glad you reported back on his one, and I'm  glad to hear it turned out so well. 
I just love these big beers  once they have matured.  It's certainly worth the wait, and for me, definitely worth brewing a couple times a year so I always have some aged stock on hand.
A glass of good 'keeping' beer, a cheese plate, and a wedge or two of crusty bread is (to me)  as good as a a fancy meal in a 5 star restaurant. 
Maybe even better.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 09:38:52 am »
Heck yeah, this was my first Old Ale (that I have brewed) and I like it much better than Barley Wine. Have several of those going back over the years but I just really have to be in the mood. Gonna brew this one up again ASAP and will try to keep from pulling the taps too hard until the other one is at least 6 months old.

have to say, the brett balance on this beeer was spot on perfect - don't think I could have done it better with my own blend. If anyone is interested in this style I'd highly recommend the seasonal WY strain.

Offline stlaleman

• Assistant Brewer
    • Penrose Picobrewery
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 09:49:07 am »
I'll second that yeast strain! Won awards with my first one, have the second one in a keg right now. Should go on tap soon.

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 09:59:54 am »
Heck yeah, this was my first Old Ale (that I have brewed) and I like it much better than Barley Wine. Have several of those going back over the years but I just really have to be in the mood. Gonna brew this one up again ASAP and will try to keep from pulling the taps too hard until the other one is at least 6 months old.

have to say, the brett balance on this beeer was spot on perfect - don't think I could have done it better with my own blend. If anyone is interested in this style I'd highly recommend the seasonal WY strain.
OK,
I'll have to brew an old ale.  That should be a nice "session" beer
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 10:26:56 am »
Time warp!!!!

You've got my address, right?  ;)

BTW, did you know that Old Crusty is the nickname for Rogue's BW?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011, 10:55:02 am »
It's amazing how a beer can be bad one year and great the next. My barleywines tend to exhibit this behavior. Aging big beers can really do wonders for them. Glad it worked out for you.
Ron Price

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2011, 11:52:13 am »
Time warp!!!!

You've got my address, right?  ;)

BTW, did you know that Old Crusty is the nickname for Rogue's BW?

I didn't even remember I named it that until I looked up the old post. Just gonnna be pulling it on tap at the house. might call it "Old Rustic" though to keep things straight.  ;)