Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Making a Belgian  (Read 3668 times)

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
Making a Belgian
« on: December 20, 2009, 08:19:14 am »
Okay I'm trying a Belgian, have a look, any suggestions?  This will be my first.

This is for a 5.5 gallon batch and I'm getting terrible efficiency around 63% on my last brew so I've pumped up the grains.  Shooting for an OG of 1.080, boil volume 7.25.

9# American Pils
6# German Vienna
2# Rye
1.5# Sugar
.25# Special B

.75 oz Target for 60m  pellet
1 oz Strisselspalt 15m  pellet
1 oz Strisselspalt at knockout   pellet

Mash for 60+ and boil for 90

WY3724 from a 3000 ml starter ferment at 70F
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 08:26:07 am by dean »

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
Re: Making a Belgian
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 10:37:46 am »
Do you think the rye would give it too much mouthfeel... too spicy maybe? 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 10:43:13 am »
For my tastes, I'm not sure how the rye and the 3724 would go together.  The spicy phenolics of the yeast might conflict wqith the rye.  But that's me....could be perfect for you.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 10:51:09 am »
Originally I was not going to use the rye, but I have some rye and thought I it might add a little color and zestiness to it.  I'd like to read some more opinions on it.  Considering my mash ph is so high right now I might be better off using some dark malts instead but I'm not sure about using any roasted grains in a Belgian?

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 11:02:56 am »
What kind of sugar are you planning to use. I use dark candy syrup that works really well with a Dubbel.
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 11:08:44 am »
Have you used that yeast before?  It's got a lot of character.  I'd plan my other ingredients around the flavor profile of the yeast.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 11:14:43 am »
Bluesman, I'm planning on using cane sugar,thats all I've got in sugars, or I could use some wildflower honey.  I was thinking dark malts to help lower the ph.  I'm not sure about crystal malts doing the trick and it would probably take too much roasted malts also.  The last batch I kinda panic'd on added "about" 3 oz of pale chocolate and an oz of roasted barley trying to lower the ph... didn't do squat hardly except it smells like a great cup of java.   :D  I also tried a tablespoon of lactic acid in the mash, it did lower the ph "temporarily".  Its definitely going to be a suprise when I drink it.   ::)  But the centennial hop aroma was amazing.... maybe the only bright spot in the brew day.   :P   :D

Denny, I've never used 3724 or any Belgian yeast yet.  I just picked it because the description said it threw a lot of fruity esters.  But I've read a few posts that indicate differently?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 12:36:44 pm »
Denny, I've never used 3724 or any Belgian yeast yet.  I just picked it because the description said it threw a lot of fruity esters.  But I've read a few posts that indicate differently?

To me it's more phenolic than fruity.  Wyeast lists it as a saison yeast.

"Classic farmhouse ale yeast. Spicy and complex aromatics including bubble gum. Very tart and dry on palate with mild fruit. Finishes crisp and mildly acidic. Benefits from elevated fermentation temperatures. This strain is notorious for a rapid and vigorous start to fermentation, only to stick around 1.035 sg. Fermentation will eventually finish, given time and warm temperatures."

I don't think I'd go in a Trappist or abbey direction with it.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 01:46:23 pm »
I would probably drop the rye and mash closer to 90 min.