Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: IIPA Hop Schedule Help  (Read 1402 times)

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
IIPA Hop Schedule Help
« on: May 21, 2011, 09:12:58 am »
Looking for some suggestions, please. 

If you had:

4oz Amarillo
8oz Centennial
8oz Citra
8oz CTZ

How would you hop 11 gallons of 9% abv IIPA? 

-J.K.L.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: IIPA Hop Schedule Help
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 03:50:32 pm »
I would bitter with the CTZ, and use Amarillo and Cents for some 10, 5, and 0 minute additions.  Maybe throw in a little citra at knockout, maybe not.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 08:35:20 pm »
Looking for some suggestions, please. 

If you had:

4oz Amarillo
8oz Centennial
8oz Citra
8oz CTZ

How would you hop 11 gallons of 9% abv IIPA? 

-J.K.L.

Alot and often.  :)

I would start with a bittering addition around 40 IBU's at 60 min probably CTZ. Then I would hopburst starting at 20min every 5min until flameout with 1oz additions alternating all of the hops as you go. 20,15,10,5,0. You may want to double up on the flame out with Cent's and Amarillo.
Ron Price

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 07:23:10 am »
I've never used citra? After what I've read about them, I'm excited and a little and a little nervous as well. I love SN Torpedo but I don't love cat pee.  I'm going to make a hop tea beforehand to get a feel for it.  Assuming that I like it, I was thinking of making an even mixture of Amarillo, Cents, & Citra and FWH to about 50 ibu.. Some CTZ @ 60, and use the mixture again @ 20, 15, 10, 5, & 0.  Then dry with a 1/2oz of each of the 4 varieties in each keg.  I suppose I'll shooting for 80 - 100ibu mark?  (Note to self....need to bump up the batch volume to account for absorption, this is gonna be a fruity Hop Bomb!)

Thanks for your input fellas!

-J.K.L.

Offline timberati

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norm
    • Batch-22
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 04:49:32 pm »
I've never used citra? After what I've read about them, I'm excited and a little and a little nervous as well. I love SN Torpedo but I don't love cat pee.

If you like SN Torpedo, you'll like Citra. I'm on my 4th batch of all Citra IPA. I love the smell and the taste.
Cervesariis Feliciter
Batch-22 http://52beers.wordpress.com/
Twitter: timberati