Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: cross-tee thermometer design?  (Read 2695 times)

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
cross-tee thermometer design?
« on: May 24, 2011, 08:56:14 am »
I just realized that the thrumometer I ordered is not to exceed 140 degrees. Dammit. 
So, I need to go back to my original plan to make a recirculation thermowell out of a thermometer mounted into a SS cross-tee. Anybody out there ever build up one of these?  Any suggestions, parts lists, links to examples or plans would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
Re: cross-tee thermometer design?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 10:22:38 am »
I had that same problem a batch ago.  That reminds me I still need to try to send back that thrumometer.  I put a 1/2in tee on the inlet of the pump.  I had a "Thermothingy" on my old MT so I'm using that 1/4in setup in a reducer with a digital cooking thermometer in it.  It worked like a charm during the last batch.  It was awfully nice during my recirc knowing exactly what the temp was.  I'm still a little worried about one of the o-rings popping, so I may eventually just go a standard 1/2 brewing therm with a swivel head.  Give it a shot.
-J.K.L.   

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 10:53:05 am »
Thanks, that sounds like a good plan.  Anyone know the reasoning behind such a limited temperature scale on the Thrumometer?  I'm struggling to see the benefit.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline glastctbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 11:09:05 am »
Thanks, that sounds like a good plan.  Anyone know the reasoning behind such a limited temperature scale on the Thrumometer?  I'm struggling to see the benefit.

They designed it for the cold side.  From their web site:

The ThruMometerTM allows you to adjust the wort and/or water flow rates in your counterflow heat exchanger to dial in the exact wort temperature your specific yeast culture requires.  No more guessing! 
Scott
Still Hill Brewery

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 11:17:48 am »
Yeah I get that, but don't you generally need to recirculate from boiling down to a certain temperature (above 140 degrees) before you can hit your target pitching temp coming out of the chiller?
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

narvin

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 11:19:48 am »
Yeah I get that, but don't you generally need to recirculate from boiling down to a certain temperature (above 140 degrees) before you can hit your target pitching temp coming out of the chiller?

It's for counterflow / plate chillers, not recirculating.  You adjust the flow and go straight to the fermenter in one pass.

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 11:32:13 am »

I just assumed the high temps would throw off the calibration somehow?  I just wish I'd read the fine print before I bought one.  If I wasn't recirculating to sanitize my CFC, I would still use it to recirculate post chiller and then into the fermenter. 
-J.K.L.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 11:36:50 am »

It's for counterflow / plate chillers, not recirculating.  You adjust the flow and go straight to the fermenter in one pass.

Wow. I've only used my Therminator once so far but obviously I've got some work to do in order to find the sweet flow spot to pull off a single pass from 212 to 70 degrees.  JKL makes another good point about recirculating to sanitize the chiller, still think I'm leaning towards building my own.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 11:44:50 am »
I'm wanting to eventually wanting to go to a recirculating imersion chiller (ala jamiller),  but it's just not in the funds right now.  I've considered plate chillers but after reading about what a b**** they are to "really" get clean.  Then again what do I know.  I don't own one.
-J.K.L.

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 03:23:02 pm »
Plate chillers are great.  They are more efficient and compact.  I clean my pump and hoses by pumping hot PBW through them after brewing.  I just backflush the plate chiller and add it to the loop.  Easy squeezy.  They can even be sterilized in the oven.

They are so efficient that I have to turn down the water in the Winter.  I have a "T" on the output of the chiller with a thermometer and I have a valve on the water and a valve on the wort so I can dial it in.  While I was at it I added another "T" for in-line oxygenation.

I never understood the "recirculating" chiller.
Brew on

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 01:09:04 pm »
I guess the recirculating chiller sort of gives some of the reputed advantages of just a CFC (like enhanced cold break) while keeping the reputed advantages of a whirlpool setup (like dropping the bulk wort temp for less DMS production, and creating a whirlpool for trub removal).  But I never thought about recirculating from a CFC for those times when the coolant starts out too warm to chill the wort adequately with a single pass.  That's an interesting idea.
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?