Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 7.5 Gal Sanke kegs  (Read 21937 times)

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
Re: 7.5 Gal Sanke kegs
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 06:27:55 pm »
I'm in Panama City Beach, FL.  No local breweries, nothing on craigslist locally.
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 09:12:14 pm »
I'm in Panama City Beach, FL.  No local breweries, nothing on craigslist locally.
Did you try Sabco?
GW Kent is selling new kegs.
They have 1/2 BBL and 1/6BBL but not 1/4 BBL.

They are also keg sellers like Frankee beverages from TN but they want to sell you the whole skid or more.
You might have a hard time to find legit 1/4 keg.

Plastic Kegs America is selling 30 liter (1/4 BBL). The minimum order is 6 kegs.
also you can not use steam to sanitise them (to my knowledge).
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 03:12:00 pm »
Just a quick note.  Anyone telling me to buy one on ebay or craigslist, these are more than likely kegs that cannot be returned to the liquor store they were "rented" from because of a lack of a receipt.  So it's the same thing as me buying a keg full of beer and not returning it for the deposit.  I guess stealing is stealing, no matter how you slice it.

I'm checking on a couple companies online.  Finally found a couple sources.
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 03:52:32 pm »
Forgive my potential ignorance. 
I've never bought a keg from the store, nor ever asked how the deposit works, but is there an expectation for you to return the keg?  In what time frame?  Are you legally required to do so?

If not, how is it stealing?  Morally stealing?

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 04:16:29 pm »
Well here in my area, the average deposit for a keg is $50.00.  Your not returning the keg and letting the store keep the $50.00 doesn't cover the cost of the keg.  Think about it.  The liquor store keeps the deposit, as far as I know, they don't own the keg you rent and the brewery loses a keg.  So, while I didn't care about this a couple years ago when I started brewing, I do have a couple Budweiser kegs in my employ, I won't lie,  I'm trying to do things the right way. 

You do raise a good point though, it's technically not stealing, you did pay for the keg, just not what it's worth and may be more morally wrong than illegal.  I think they should start charging more for deposits so people will keep up with their receipt and be more inclined to return the keg.  Of course, how many people have had an auto accident and not used the insurance money to repair their cars?? That's illegal as well, but it happens everyday.
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 11:01:30 pm »
Just a quick note.  Anyone telling me to buy one on ebay or craigslist, these are more than likely kegs that cannot be returned to the liquor store they were "rented" from because of a lack of a receipt.  So it's the same thing as me buying a keg full of beer and not returning it for the deposit.  I guess stealing is stealing, no matter how you slice it.

How is that stealing if it cannot be returned for the deposit?
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 11:22:55 pm »
Sorry, it is stealing.  Your deposit is not purchasing the keg.  You can only buy a keg from the owner, in this case the brewery.  The store can charge a deposit, but it is not theirs to sell.  If you can't return it for the deposit, it is because you have broken an agreement with the store, most likely for the timely return of the keg but you'd have to read the paperwork you signed for the keg to know for sure.  You are still legally obligated to return it.

It's a crappy system, but it's what we have.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 02:48:42 am »
Although it's getting harder to get access to scrap yards these days, that's your source for "cheap" stainless steel. Sometimes you luck out and find scrapped kegs. Other than that, go to distributors and ask if they have any damaged kegs you can buy.

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 06:59:10 am »
Sorry, it is stealing.  Your deposit is not purchasing the keg.

Yeppers. 
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2011, 08:37:49 am »
Ok, so first off these things are called 1/4 barrel slim kegs, in case anyone is interested.  (7.75 US Gallons.)   I finally found an online source that would sell small amounts.  Thanks to Thirsty_Monk for suggesting this site.  It seems like they will sell very small amounts, as I asked for a quote for four and they got right back to me.

www.franke.com/beveragesystems/de/en/home.html

The person who got back to me quoted around $130 per keg, with about $35 a piece for shipping.  I guess four is out of my reach for now, I'm thinking about getting two.

This seems like a good source for brand new kegs, either used for serving or fermenting.  I would like to thank everyone for their input, it helped me spend the time to look for new legal kegs.   8)   Preeeeeesh!!
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2011, 02:30:48 pm »
Did you let them know you wanted them for fermenters so if they were damaged that would be ok?  You might be able to get some cheaper ones from them.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2011, 03:56:05 pm »
I'm still going to get one of these someday.

http://www.napafermentation.com/catalog_c127268.html
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2011, 08:28:28 pm »
Did you let them know you wanted them for fermenters so if they were damaged that would be ok?  You might be able to get some cheaper ones from them.
I have talked to them.
I do not think this is the case.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2011, 12:53:58 pm »
Sorry, it is stealing.  Your deposit is not purchasing the keg.  You can only buy a keg from the owner, in this case the brewery.  The store can charge a deposit, but it is not theirs to sell.  If you can't return it for the deposit, it is because you have broken an agreement with the store, most likely for the timely return of the keg but you'd have to read the paperwork you signed for the keg to know for sure.  You are still legally obligated to return it.

It's a crappy system, but it's what we have.

BS.  The post I was responding to indicated that the keg could not be returned.  What am I gonna do, mail it to the brewery?

Edit: Just to be clear, I am not advocating stealing kegs or keeping rented kegs and foregoing the deposit.  Perhaps not even keeping a keg for which the deposit will not be returned (you have a point there).  But a keg that the liquor store won't take back?  That's gonna get the grinder.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 01:09:58 pm by Will's Swill »
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2011, 01:13:56 pm »
BS.  The post I was responding to indicated that the keg could not be returned.  What am I gonna do, mail it to the brewery?

Edit: Just to be clear, I am not advocating stealing kegs or keeping rented kegs and foregoing the deposit.  Perhaps not even keeping a keg for which the deposit will not be returned.  But a keg that the liquor store won't take back?  That's gonna get the grinder.
I'm sure they would take it back and not give you a deposit back, especially if you didn't have a receipt (which is what the post you responded to said).  If you are stuck with a keg and would like to return it to the brewery, call them and they will tell you where you can drop it off.  The distributors will take them no questions asked.  They won't give you any money for them, but then they shouldn't have to since it's not yours in the first place.

You can justify it to yourself any way you like, but it does not belong to you and is still a stolen keg, even if the liquor store won't take it.
Tom Schmidlin