Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tannins  (Read 2543 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Tannins
« on: May 22, 2011, 03:55:41 pm »
I know you won't extract tannins when your temperature goes over 170 if you keep your pH in line (e.g., when decoction mashing).

Would you extract tannins if your pH was high, but your temperature was below 170?
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Re: Tannins
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 05:12:19 pm »
"Tannins" is a pretty broad class of compounds. Some tannins are a normal part of beer flavor and body. Excessive tannins could be perceived as astringent.

You definitely run a risk of overextracting tannins when either your sparge temp is too high, or if your sparge temp is lower but your pH is too high.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 06:04:06 pm »
"Tannins" is a pretty broad class of compounds. Some tannins are a normal part of beer flavor and body. Excessive tannins could be perceived as astringent.

You definitely run a risk of overextracting tannins when either your sparge temp is too high, or if your sparge temp is lower but your pH is too high.

Get the mash pH set in the desired range 5.2 -5.6 or so.

Adjust the sparge water to the same pH using Phosphoric Acid (what I use) or Lactic Acid.

Then there are no worries.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 06:09:57 pm »
Yeah, excessive tannin extraction leading to astringency was what I was getting at.

I'm not having an astringency issue, I'm just curious as to whether high sparge pH on its own causes a problem since it seems that high temperature by itself does not.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 06:25:40 pm »
High temps and pH will extract tannins. I'm not sure about high pH and low temps but my guess is that it will but to a lesser degree. Your best bet is to avoid that situation if at all possible.
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 10:19:24 am »
Yeah, excessive tannin extraction leading to astringency was what I was getting at.

I'm not having an astringency issue, I'm just curious as to whether high sparge pH on its own causes a problem since it seems that high temperature by itself does not.

Based on my own experience, I'd say yes.  Even keeping my temps in line, I found that my dark beers were harsh until I started paying attention to my pH.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 05:11:40 pm »

Based on my own experience, I'd say yes.  Even keeping my temps in line, I found that my dark beers were harsh until I started paying attention to my pH.
Some say brewing is all about time and temperature.  I say pH should be in there somewhere.  ;)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 08:44:32 pm »
pH is a factor, but only to the degree that it indicates that the water alkalinity is brought down.  Alkalinity is the real factor that is the concern in reducing tannin extraction along with temperature. 

For brewers that have brewing water with really low alkalinity, they don't really need to adjust the sparge water pH.  In addition, with a low alkalinity water, it would probably only take teeny amounts of acid to drop the pH anyhow.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks