Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Single Tier 3 15.5 Sanke Build, Need Help  (Read 6801 times)

Offline rayallen

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Antonio, TX
Re: Single Tier 3 15.5 Sanke Build, Need Help
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 10:46:31 am »
Thanks guys for the advice , the last thing I want to do is get in over my head.

My main goal now is to able to produce larger batches in a more time efficient manner. Electric stove top is just way to slow for me. Quality of the beer is most important..

I figured I have the three Sankes why not go ahead with setting something up. Why would the cooler be any different than using the sanke Mash tun. Is there a benefit of a cooler mash tun versus a keggle mash tun? Better insulation?

I like the simple is best approach so all the advice will be put to use. Id love to hang out with a group of brewers to check out their systems, but have to find them 1st.

I am a very visual person so I know this would help out tremondously. I know if I can keep a saltwater reef aquarium alive and thriving with its many gadgets and gizmos I will understand this once I see it in action.

Going to watch some videos and tutorials to get a better visual on what will work for me.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 10:50:56 am »
IMO, I prefer a cooler to a kettle for mashing because it holds the heat so well.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline rayallen

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Antonio, TX
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 11:04:17 am »
Thanks Denny

Ok I will go with that system to start. that would explain why I see some Kettle mash tuns wrapped in insulation.

HLT to Cooler Mash Tun and then into the boil kettle. All gravity on a three tierd system. No pumps no fuss. I like that. Also saves me a lot of $$$ dough. My wife will like that.

This would still alow me to do Mini-Mash as well which is what ive been doing from the start. Onto learning more about all-grain.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 11:04:35 am »
Thanks guys for the advice , the last thing I want to do is get in over my head.

My main goal now is to able to produce larger batches in a more time efficient manner. Electric stove top is just way to slow for me. Quality of the beer is most important..

I figured I have the three Sankes why not go ahead with setting something up. Why would the cooler be any different than using the sanke Mash tun. Is there a benefit of a cooler mash tun versus a keggle mash tun? Better insulation?

I like the simple is best approach so all the advice will be put to use. Id love to hang out with a group of brewers to check out their systems, but have to find them 1st.

I am a very visual person so I know this would help out tremondously. I know if I can keep a saltwater reef aquarium alive and thriving with its many gadgets and gizmos I will understand this once I see it in action.

Going to watch some videos and tutorials to get a better visual on what will work for me.

I have a Brutus 10 clone (single tier direct fired RIMS system) that I've been building over the last 1 year. It is 95% complete. I've just started the testing and tweeking of the controls (valves, pumps, etc...) It has been an exciting project that is finally winding down to completion. I can't wait for it's maiden brew session.

I also agree with Denny in that getting your process down on a cooler mash tun and brew kettle setup is highly recommended. This will keep you brewing while you can nail down your dream system. I've used Denny's design with a cooler and BK that is easy to use and has made medal winning beer.

Good Luck!
Ron Price

Offline rayallen

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Antonio, TX
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 11:41:16 am »
Thanks guys, this association has been the most valuable and informative tool thus far in my brewing.

Denny I said it once on another thread of mine and will say it again you are the man and I take all your advice and use it to the best of my ability.

Going to visit your website again.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 11:49:35 am by rayallen »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 11:58:05 am »

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 12:54:29 pm »
Id love to hang out with a group of brewers to check out their systems, but have to find them 1st.
You have some choices.  From http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/directories/find-a-club

San Antonio Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Helotes, TX 78023-4715
Phone: (210) 695-3415
Email: info@sabeergroup.org
www.sabeergroup.org

Bexar Brewers
San Antonio, TX 78232-5149
Phone: (210) 649-5269
Email: bexarbrewers@att.net

Barley Legal Homebrew Club
San Antonio, TX 78202-2411
Email: workmansfriend@gmail.com

San Antonio Cerveceros
San Antonio, TX 78228-2022
Phone: (210) 274-5573
Email: originalgomez1972@yahoo.com
www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/sanantoniocerveceros

Lager-Rythmics
San Antonio, TX 78212-3530
Phone: (210) 737-6604
Email: Todd@sahomebrew.com
Tom Schmidlin

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 01:23:20 pm »
IMO, I prefer a cooler to a kettle for mashing because it holds the heat so well.
Ray,
I chill the wort in the boil kettle as it is sanitized from the boil.

Coolers are great for single infusions.  I still have mine, and use it on occasions for low gravity beers with low mash volumes, which will drop a lot of heat in the kettle.  With the kettle though, you can add heat as needed, and I also wrap it in insulation to help maintain heat when the fire is off. 

You should be able to find some others in the SA or Austin area that brew on a 3 keg system.  Look up the club index on this site and you should find one.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 01:28:48 pm »
Lager-Rythmics
San Antonio, TX 78212-3530
Phone: (210) 737-6604
Email: Todd@sahomebrew.com

Love that one, must be a bunch of math geeks :)
Joe

Offline rayallen

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Antonio, TX
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2011, 01:56:53 pm »
Thanks Jeff Excellent info. I see that like many things in the obsession (no longer call it a hobby) its all a matter of opinionm and everyone has their preference.

Ive been looking at pics and build threads all afternoon and see that some prefer cooler mash tuns and some the kettle insulated or not insualted. Either way works but the cooler is better insulated, because thats what it was built for to begin with. I could use the sanke keg but it would be best wrapped in insualation, this would allow me not to have to have a burner under the mash tun to hold the temp.

Thanks tschmidlin for the links to the clubs, Havnt really figured out all the links and goodies AHA provides.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2011, 03:32:37 pm »
I use a converted keg as a mash tun, but I also can recirculate the mash through an electric heater while it rests, so I don't lose any heat.  The advantage to using stainless kegs as vessels over a plastic cooler is that you can light a fire under the keg, making multiple step mashes much simpler.
I used to cool the wort through a counterflow chiller directly into carboys, but now I redirect the cooling wort back into the boil kettle at an angle and cool the whole volume, at the same time making a whirlpool in the bk.
But, like everybody else says, brew some all grain on a simple system and then decide over time what you want to do with all your new stuff.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2011, 11:14:04 pm »
Denny,

Tell us more about your experience on the MoreBeer system.  Was it just so automated that it took the fun out, or did you find other issues?
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2011, 09:18:35 am »
I'm a simple three tier gravity single infusion guy, OK I went a little overboard with the setup, but you can do it with just about anything. Lots of people make three tiers out of 2x4's and plywood. Just keep the flames away from the wood. As far as propane inside.... CO is one problem, as the burners use massive amounts of air. The other big problem is moisture. A ton of water is produced burning all that gas. Ventilation helps for the combustion air, but the wife will NOT be happy with the windows dripping. Out in the garage you are.

My pics here: http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2011, 09:27:46 am »
Denny,

Tell us more about your experience on the MoreBeer system.  Was it just so automated that it took the fun out, or did you find other issues?

It was extremely hard to control mash temps.  Now, this was only the 3rd batch brewed on it and I'm sure more experience would help.  I also found a lot of what I would consider "stupid design stuff" about it.  For instance, disconnecting a QD would cause it to drip all over the control panel.  Temps probes and valves awkwardly positioned.  For all the good stuff about it, there were an equal number of "why the heck did they do that?" things.  As I said, maybe with more experience you could overcome or get used top some of those things, but it was a bit disappointing.  I left that day thinking "why would I not want to use the Cheap'n'Easy system I have now?".

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2011, 12:39:22 pm »
Gotcha, thanks, Denny.

Oscar, are you using a garden hose for your supply line?  That seems surprising given all the upgrades you got going there...  ???
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?