Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: American IPA Recipe - Help  (Read 4707 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Re: American IPA Recipe - Help
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2011, 12:22:15 pm »
I also have lots of East Kent Golding, Fuggle and 1 oz of Willamette but I assume I should keep these for my bitters and pale ales.

If you have 'lots', think about an British IPA.  You need lots of those for an IPA, but you have them. 

Good suggestion but I have a good friend who likes a lot of hops which is why I was going to head toward an American.  I have about a pound of EKG and 1/2 a pound of Fuggles pellets.  I could do that next and compare the two. 

Biggest problem is that I don't know what to do.  I have a nice cream ale recipe that I'm doing every other week to have on hand.  It's the off weeks when I feel like experimenting. 

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2011, 12:56:25 pm »

I'd do something about the carbonates from a flavor standpoint, if nothing else. 

My water report says Alkalinity is 216 (mg/L as CaCO3).  Is this too much?  I'm trying to use Martin's program but having trouble balancing ions and I'm not sure if I'm making proper assumptions about my Mg levels so I have sent him a separate message.

Thanks again for all the help everyone.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2011, 01:03:17 pm »
I also have lots of East Kent Golding, Fuggle and 1 oz of Willamette but I assume I should keep these for my bitters and pale ales.

If you have 'lots', think about an British IPA.  You need lots of those for an IPA, but you have them. 

Good suggestion but I have a good friend who likes a lot of hops which is why I was going to head toward an American.  I have about a pound of EKG and 1/2 a pound of Fuggles pellets.  I could do that next and compare the two. 

Biggest problem is that I don't know what to do.  I have a nice cream ale recipe that I'm doing every other week to have on hand.  It's the off weeks when I feel like experimenting. 
I didn't say not to do the Am. IPA.  The British ones are good drinkers too!  I have some of both aging/dry hopping in the basement.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2011, 01:11:12 pm »
I didn't say not to do the Am. IPA.  The British ones are good drinkers too!  I have some of both aging/dry hopping in the basement.
Ah...I see.  I thought you were suggesting an either/or scenario.  I will definitely do the British one soon.  I prefer British beer in general.  This is more for someone else (although I'll drink my fair share).