Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer soap?  (Read 3363 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Beer soap?
« on: May 25, 2011, 06:33:40 am »
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Beer soap?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 07:21:44 am »
I've used a little beer in soap, and some herbs that gave a little scrubby character.  I think the spent grains would give you something like that, I wouldn't use a lot but a little would be great.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 07:45:40 am »
I've used a little beer in soap, and some herbs that gave a little scrubby character.  I think the spent grains would give you something like that, I wouldn't use a lot but a little would be great.

Can you point me to a how-to or something? My only soap-making knowledge is from Fight Club.
----

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 09:23:54 am »
Interesting.  My neighbor makes soap and she recently started homebrewing.  I grow hops so I wonder if she could make me some hop scented soap.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 09:34:26 am »
http://www.teachsoap.com/soapmakingmethods.html

I just googled this up, there are several sites with info and places to order materials.  Look at their stuff on cold process soapmaking.  You need oils and lye.  The simplest oils to use are lard and olive oil, although I use canola since it is similar to olive in terms of fatty acid composition.  You'll need to find a source of lye, there are several online places to get it and I don't recall where I got my last stuff but I still have quite a bit.

You could also do a melt-and-pour soap, they sell that at craft/hobby stores like Michaels or Hobby Lobby.  You can just melt, add your brewing adjuncts and pour into molds.  That would be a lot simpler and less work than the cold process.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 10:07:56 am »
Interesting.  My neighbor makes soap and she recently started homebrewing.  I grow hops so I wonder if she could make me some hop scented soap.

De Proefbrouwerij makes an "Agent Provacateur" soap that has cascade (pellets?) added to it. Smells GREAT. Hops are an excellent addition to soap, and don't forget they're antimicrobial (right? or is it anti-something else?)
----

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 11:27:32 am »
I've been making my own soap for 5 years. Stupid simple to do it to. I've both cooked soap and used the cold-process method- which I prefer. Alcohol and sugars can have odd effects when added to soap. Pellet hops ought to work well. Spent grain might be a little scratchy and prone to going mouldy in soap.

Here's some pics of a batch that was made in November last year.

Here's a link to a calculator that I use: http://www.thesage.com/calcs/lyecalc2.php
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 01:52:19 pm »
Euge, you need to start a new topic somewhere and give us a rundown of how you make soap.  I'm interested in your process.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 01:59:23 pm »
Euge do you use a stick blender to emulsify yours?  And how much excess oil do you use in your recipe?  I made so much soap a few years ago that I still haven't gone through it all.  One of my favorites was oatmeal milk and honey, made a very nice golden color.  I used baby food oatmeal.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 12:09:36 am »
Euge, you need to start a new topic somewhere and give us a rundown of how you make soap.  I'm interested in your process.

OK

Euge do you use a stick blender to emulsify yours?  And how much excess oil do you use in your recipe?  I made so much soap a few years ago that I still haven't gone through it all.  One of my favorites was oatmeal milk and honey, made a very nice golden color.  I used baby food oatmeal.

Yes and I have experience with milk and honey and even sugar. Would like to discuss this.

Started a thread about soapmaking: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=7679.0
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline brewmonk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norcia, Italy
    • Birra Nursia
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 04:16:46 am »
My only soap-making knowledge is from Fight Club.
I thought the same thing.  :D
Br. Francis
Birra Nursia

Offline geomantis

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 08:30:22 pm »
I am making my first batch this weekend.  Baking the grain on a low setting for around 7 hours drys it out to prevent mold buildup.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 08:40:39 pm »
OK, now that's hardcore!
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 10:06:06 pm »
OK, now that's hardcore!
I've started making my own beard oil with the hop oils from http://hopmybeer.com - I call it "Hop on my Face"

Nothing beats smelling like hops first thing in the morning :)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 10:07:52 pm »
Nice. My beard oil smells of north western forest and sawdust.