Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Finally, temp control  (Read 1349 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Finally, temp control
« on: May 25, 2011, 09:38:46 am »
So my landlord had a new fridge delivered yesterday and I got to inherit the old vintage fridge that doesn't know when to quit. I am not using it's 'fridge' capacity now as you can't turn the temp up above freezing everything in it solid and I don't have the dinero to invest in a controler at this point. but I figure it's well insulated and if I swap out ice packs, frozen bottles etc. daily it should be good. tossed 10 gallons of cali common in there last night with all the gel packs, ice packs I had on hand and frozen (About a dozen) and it feels reasonably cool this morning, thermometer strips on the fermentors are reading 68 which is a little high for a cali common but it will have to do for now and at least it will stay fairly stable. yipee
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Re: Finally, temp control
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 01:26:07 pm »
Are you able to do some simple wiring? If I do any installs the next few weeks here in Ohio, I will save the parts for you to make a temp controller.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 04:10:30 pm »
I could probably manage any wireing that does not involve actuall soldering (sp?) Electricity does make me nervous though. I installed a 220 breaker once and even though I had JUST turned off the main I was sweating up a storm as I touched that screw driver to the breaker box. Not sure how the PM thing works but if you can PM me I will get to address. Might not end up worth it with shipping all the way over here to the left coast but who knows.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 01:35:06 am »
Why not put it on a $3 analog timer. Maybe on for 15 minutes once every two hours. Something like that.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 09:31:18 am »
Why not put it on a $3 analog timer. Maybe on for 15 minutes once every two hours. Something like that.

I might just try that. Maybe I will stop at the hardware store on my way home today
-A Einstein

- J Joyce