Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: San Diego  (Read 3212 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
San Diego
« on: May 26, 2011, 10:46:43 am »
Heading to SD for the long weekend. Can anyone tell me where I NEED to go and which specific beers I have to try? Obviously I'm going to Stone, and I also plan to hit up Port/Lost Abbey, Ballast Point, and Green Flash; but where else do I have to go? Ale Smith? The Bruery? More?

Offline hopvine

• 1st Kit
Re: San Diego
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 12:44:59 pm »
Pizza Port in downtown Carlsbad makes fantastic beer, and has a ton of other tasty beers on tap as well.

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 09:13:56 pm »
Funny, I'm going in August, I hope you don't mind if I get info from this post as well!
Have you checked this out?
http://beermapping.com/maps/citymaps.php?m=sandiego
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline microbrewwater.com

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 07:14:49 pm »
I'm going to San Diego this weekend and someone said I should check out 30th street for good brew. Has anyone heard of any place there? Thanks

Jim

Offline passlaku

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 07:59:36 pm »
We had a great time at Hamilton's.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 12:14:04 am »
Toronado had a great lineup last week.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 01:27:13 am »
someone said I should check out 30th street for good brew.

30th street is a street near where we jst had the conference. It has a number of really good beer bars on it like Toronado, Ritual, Linkery, etc.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 05:26:53 am »
I enjoyed the Sourfest at the Blind Lady. Hamiltons Tavern was recommended, but we didn't make it there.

Toronado was fun, but for some reason I like the vibe of the SF location better.

Churchills Pub in San Marcos is worth a visit if you're in Escondido, have been to Stone and Lost Abbey/Port and still feel you need some additional beer.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 09:06:50 am »
It's not in San Diego proper, but a short drive east is Alpine.  Best lineup I tried all week.  And I was there on Taco Tuesdays.  Bonus.

Lost Abbey if you haven't had their beers before.  The new Pizza Port was good.  Toronado had a good selection, and I didn't feel like I was about to get knifed like I do in SF.  I thought Ballast Point was a bit hit-or-miss.  Coronado had a good 3.8% Scottish when I was getting tired of hops.

Anyway, you pretty much can't swing a dead cat and not hit good beer in San Diego.  Alpine was my unexpected find for the week.  I think Duet and Ugly were my two favorites, but I would have had several of any of them.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 05:47:34 am »
someone said I should check out 30th street for good brew.

30th street is a street near where we jst had the conference. It has a number of really good beer bars on it like Toronado, Ritual, Linkery, etc.

LOL, only in CA is that near.

Alpine is one of few hyped places that really lived up for me. Russian River was another.

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 10:21:07 am »
Although a bit late for the post, when I was back in San Diego visiting friends and family, we went to the Iron Fist Brewery in Vista.  It was a really great day and their beers were awesome for a warm day.  Getting back from England was great to be surrounded by American beer.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag