Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: We're going pro and need your help!  (Read 5038 times)

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
Re: We're going pro and need your help!
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 11:23:52 am »
#10 all the way, I love how the B & R run together at the top.  Total brain teaser.  Excellent!  Plus, There's no mistake on who the brewer is.  Like the name btw, hope to see you guys in AR someday.  Good luck!!
-J.K.L.

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 11:27:50 am »
I don't like the black ones. They need some color. I like #21.

a good graphic designer designs his logo to look good n black and white first. Color can always be added. The focus should be on design first. I do agree that a good logo color palette is essential, but logos are very often printed in black and white and if the rely too heavily on color the.y don't often convert well.

I've seen very few beer bottles with monochrome labels.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=1680&bih=925&q=beer%20bottle%20labels&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

majorvices is absolutely 100% correct. ALL logos are designed in b/w first because inevitably you will need to use it as a cutout, a splash, a die or in applications where color is cost-prohibitive or just plain unusable.

You may not have seen many beer labels printed in b/w, for good reason, they want their product to stand out on the shelves, but conversely you don't see alot of full color logos printed on giveaway items, glasses, t-shirts, etc. because full-color printing costs a lot of money.

Tony

Not arguing with your cost logic, but I sure see a lot more multi-color t-shirts here.

http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl=en&biw=1680&bih=925&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=beer+logo+t-shirts&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq= 

and if you look closely, 90% of those are 1 color. which means they gave the printer a b/w logo. :)
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 01:04:47 pm »

a good graphic designer designs his logo to look good n black and white first. Color can always be added. The focus should be on design first. I do agree that a good logo color palette is essential, but logos are very often printed in black and white and if the rely too heavily on color the.y don't often convert well.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=1680&bih=925&q=beer%20bottle%20labels&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

majorvices is absolutely 100% correct. ALL logos are designed in b/w first because inevitably you will need to use it as a cutout, a splash, a die or in applications where color is cost-prohibitive or just plain unusable.

You may not have seen many beer labels printed in b/w, for good reason, they want their product to stand out on the shelves, but conversely you don't see alot of full color logos printed on giveaway items, glasses, t-shirts, etc. because full-color printing costs a lot of money.

Tony

Not arguing with your cost logic, but I sure see a lot more multi-color t-shirts here.

http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl=en&biw=1680&bih=925&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=beer+logo+t-shirts&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=  

I guess 20 years being a graphic designer probably means I know more about it than you. I also realize your MO is to argue your point to death, so that's all I have to say about it.  ;)

And BTW: I never said anything about monochrome. I am focusing on design and branding. That's what is important. You can add color anyway you want. My only point is that color is not what is important at this stage. Design and branding are.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 01:15:28 pm by majorvices »

ccarlson

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 01:30:13 pm »

Tony

I guess 20 years being a graphic designer probably means I know more about it than you. I also realize your MO is to argue your point to death, so that's all I have to say about it.  ;)

And BTW: I never said anything about monochrome. I am focusing on design and branding. That's what is important. You can add color anyway you want. My only point is that color is not what is important at this stage. Design and branding are.

He asked which logo we liked the best. I picked the one I liked the best and supported my answer. Happened to be different than your answer, but I'm not sure how that's being argumentative.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2011, 02:48:33 pm »
Carlson: I'm not talking about your opinion on which one you like best. You are welcome to it and I have no comment on that at all. I'm just saying that giving me google searches on different logos in color has nothing to do do with a brand or design of a logo which is what I am talking about, and that the fact that any basic design has color or not is a moot point. I'm sure you go to the dentist and argue with him about the best way to clean your teeth, too. As well as sit up front with the pilot with google searches on the best way you have found to land a plane. Right?  ;)

ccarlson

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2011, 03:00:27 pm »
Carlson: I'm not talking about your opinion on which one you like best. You are welcome to it and I have no comment on that at all. I'm just saying that giving me google searches on different logos in color has nothing to do do with a brand or design of a logo which is what I am talking about, and that the fact that any basic design has color or not is a moot point. I'm sure you go to the dentist and argue with him about the best way to clean your teeth, too. As well as sit up front with the pilot with google searches on the best way you have found to land a plane. Right?  ;)

Please go back and look at the original question and my original answer. It didn't contain a quote from you. You started this personal attack on my answer, as you have in other threads. If you quote someone and disagree with them, expect a response, just as I did. Also, many of my later responses were not directed at you, but rather someone saying how T-shirts need to be monochrome. My Google searches only proved that there are many, many companies that produce beer T-shirt in more than one color.   

Once again, I pick #21 as the most pleasing to ME. I'm not a graphics designer and I've never played one on TV. ;D

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2011, 03:54:32 pm »
Carlson: I'm not talking about your opinion on which one you like best. You are welcome to it and I have no comment on that at all. I'm just saying that giving me google searches on different logos in color has nothing to do do with a brand or design of a logo which is what I am talking about, and that the fact that any basic design has color or not is a moot point. I'm sure you go to the dentist and argue with him about the best way to clean your teeth, too. As well as sit up front with the pilot with google searches on the best way you have found to land a plane. Right?  ;)

Please go back and look at the original question and my original answer. It didn't contain a quote from you. You started this personal attack on my answer, as you have in other threads. If you quote someone and disagree with them, expect a response, just as I did. Also, many of my later responses were not directed at you, but rather someone saying how T-shirts need to be monochrome. My Google searches only proved that there are many, many companies that produce beer T-shirt in more than one color.  

Once again, I pick #21 as the most pleasing to ME. I'm not a graphics designer and I've never played one on TV. ;D

This is ridiculous. This is not a personal attack and I challenge you to please find one other thread where I "attacked" you.  ::) And I apologize but I did not realize you were above quoting or questioning. As I said, I am not arguing with you about your choice. I am glad is it pleasing to YOU. If I you can't gather what I'm pickin' here well, that's fine, it's not for you anyway.

Regardless, sorry to the OP for polluting your thread. All I will say is look at the design and branding above all else. You want a design that people can look at and recognize as YOU. The images that are stylized as "BR" will probably be the easiest to work with as regarding glasses, T shirts and etc. When people see the stylized BR and they immediately think of you without even your name typed out your logo designed has worked.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 03:59:07 pm by majorvices »

Offline rightasrain

• Cellarman
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2011, 04:39:58 pm »
I like the last one best #10. Gives it a antique look and I think it would look really good on a bottle especially on an ez cap bottle cause they always remind me of old bottles.

Good luck on your new business venture. I hope it is a successfull one indeed.
"Rogues are willing to shun titles and personal financial success in the  pursuit of the greater good.
Rogues pursue the long shot.
Rogues have respect for diversity.
Rogues work hard.
Rogues are driven to succeed in their chosen field.
Rogues are honest with themselves and others.
Rogues are rebels."
- www.rogue.com

Offline astrivian

• Assistant Brewer
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2011, 02:27:14 pm »
Yea 29. I don't mind the black and white. It is called "black river" after all.
Never trust a skinny chef and never trust a sober brewer.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2011, 03:21:13 pm »
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline scooter2374

• Cellarman
  • Highlands, NJ
    • Scotty's Homebrew blog
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2011, 04:54:31 pm »
I'd go with #29 or #10, both look nice to me
AHA member since '10

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2011, 06:07:40 pm »
I like 29, or 16. 16 is simple, and eye catching.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2011, 12:28:44 pm »
I like #10, but think #29 might make a very cool neck band or bottle cap stamp.
It might also work well on the inside of the circle of #10, rather than the text that's currently in there.

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2011, 01:03:29 pm »
I really like #29 and #10. I enjoy the text of #10 and the shape/design of #29. If these two logos had a love child it would probably blow my mind. Good luck with the brewery.
Not to thread hijack but, where is black river brewery located?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 05:33:43 pm by saintsbrew »
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2011, 05:33:17 pm »
No. 29 has class.  The "B" in the other ones reminds me too much of Brooklyn Brewery.  Just my humbly ignorant opinion.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico