Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bucket List  (Read 5865 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Bucket List
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 12:15:17 pm »
Would like to spend more time hiking, and some friends have been talking up the Wonderland trail, Tom. 
It's amazing.  I can't recommend it highly enough, it's absolutely gorgeous.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 12:20:08 pm »
I want to learn how to play the guitar. Before I die.

I play the sax and drums and always wanted to learn the guitar also, I was thinking of getting one of these:

McNally Strumstick

small, pretty cheap and from the videos it looks easy to learn.

Oh and my bucket list item, I want to drink a Guinness in ireland.

Tony
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 12:53:30 pm »
Hunt elk in the Western US, Greater Kudu and Cape Buffalo in Africa.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline fatdogale

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 01:02:55 pm »

Drums for me.  I want to channel John Bonham.
John Childs

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2011, 02:24:27 pm »

Drums for me.  I want to channel John Bonham.

I taught myself how to play the drums by going out and buying a kit. A local music shop was going out of business because of some IRS problems and everything was dirt cheap. I got an excellent drum kit for like $250. It barely fit in my car.

I went home, set it up and put on some AC/DC. When i could play every song from Back in Black, I moved to Billy Squier, The Police, Zeppelin, then right to Yes and Rush. About a year later my neighbor was home from college and heard me playing Rush and came over to ask me where I studied and was dumbfounded that i was self-taught. He had been playing drums since he was 10 yrs old and went to school for it in NYC. (He currently owns a Drum School) Always thought that was a great compliment.

I still can't read a single note of drum sheet music but i can play anything i hear.

Just do it!

Tony

Offline fatdogale

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2011, 10:11:38 am »
I taught myself how to play the drums by going out and buying a kit. A local music shop was going out of business because of some IRS problems and everything was dirt cheap. I got an excellent drum kit for like $250. It barely fit in my car.

I went home, set it up and put on some AC/DC. When i could play every song from Back in Black, I moved to Billy Squier, The Police, Zeppelin, then right to Yes and Rush. About a year later my neighbor was home from college and heard me playing Rush and came over to ask me where I studied and was dumbfounded that i was self-taught. He had been playing drums since he was 10 yrs old and went to school for it in NYC. (He currently owns a Drum School) Always thought that was a great compliment.

I still can't read a single note of drum sheet music but i can play anything i hear.

Just do it!

That's very cool!  How long have you been playing?
John Childs

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2011, 11:49:43 am »
To understand how the length of time I boil wort can go back in time and have an effect on the amount of sugar that was actually extracted from the mash vs. available sugar, thus altering the efficency.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2011, 04:00:58 pm »
That's very cool!  How long have you been playing?

I've been playing for about 20 yrs now, maybe a bit more. I havent owned a kit in quite some time do to space contraints but once i move into a new house its a priority to get a small kit, after the home brewery is setup of course!

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2011, 06:18:57 pm »
I married a great woman, had some good kids, saw the Grand Canyon and learned to make beer. I'm set, although there is that Harley Heritage Softail Classic that I've been eying. :D
i got one, if the price is right you can own it.

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2011, 06:22:03 pm »
i guess one thing i want to do before i die is to go to germany and belguim, and norway, that is where my granddad is from.

Offline WDE97

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lewiston, ID
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2011, 06:41:28 pm »
Would like to spend more time hiking, and some friends have been talking up the Wonderland trail, Tom. 
It's amazing.  I can't recommend it highly enough, it's absolutely gorgeous.

I'll be hiking the Wonderland Trail this September. Can't wait!!  Just have to stop drinking so much homebrew...  ;) 
Tom, any pointers/lessons learned from your trip?

For me... touring Scotland to see where my family originally came from, African safari (would be my 7th continent), and Machu Picchu. I'd also have to agree with punatic about seeing the earth from space. That would be stunning.
Robert H.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.    - Steven Wright

On tap: Strong Scotch Ale, RIS, ESB, Saison.

Fermenting: Belgian Dark Strong, Kolsch.

Up next: Bock, NEIPA, Brett Saison

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2011, 07:12:17 pm »
I'd also have to agree with punatic about seeing the earth from space. That would be stunning.

I've seen Earth from space... from Earth.  ;D  Denny knows what I'm talkin' about.  8)
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2011, 11:08:30 pm »
When the knees are shot, then it is time to sit in the German Biergartens, or just hang for a month or 2 in Italy.
I highly suggest looking into "Automolous Stem Cell PRP injections" to restore your cartiledge and avoid that surgery
and all that goes with surgery...the above is relatively a new deal...check into it....google is your friend...

Edit: I want to go offshore and reel in a Sailfish and pat it on da head take some pix etc...If it is a smaller one,
I may bring it home and make wall art out if the carcus.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 06:50:15 am by 1vertical »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2011, 03:13:00 am »
I'll be hiking the Wonderland Trail this September. Can't wait!!  Just have to stop drinking so much homebrew...  ;) 
Tom, any pointers/lessons learned from your trip?
Sorry this is so long, feel free to ask questions.  I might not have the answers, but I can try. ;)

If you are an experienced backpacker there is nothing you really need to know.  Just get the book "Exploring the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail".  There is typically plenty of water, the trail is well marked and plenty wide for one person, and you probably won't hike more than a five or six hours without seeing some people.

But since I have no idea how much experience you have with this kind of trip, first some general backpacking stuff.  Pack light, but don't skimp on the necessities.  Bring some kind of insulated underwear, and raingear is a must.  First aid kit, knife, fire starter, the usual emergency gear.  You're not allowed to light fires, but an emergency is an emergency.  Bring line to hang your food, don't keep it in your tent!  There are bear-proof poles at all of the campgrounds.   Bring your own TP.  A warm poly sleeping bag, not down unless it will keep you warm when it is wet.  Comfortable shoes to wear around camp.  Broken-in boots.  Spare clothes in a dry bag.  Plan on everything getting wet.  It is generally very safe, but be smart, at times you will be a couple of days from help.  Bring garbage bags for your trash, you can drop stuff at the ranger's stations.

Figure out how much food you're going to need.  I planned on 3500 calories a day and found I just couldn't eat that much so I had way more food than I needed.  By the time I figured that out I was several days from a ranger station where I could dump food.  Which brings up the next point . . .

Decide if you want to carry all of your food, or mail caches to the ranger station.  I carried mine, but some hikers I met made the point that you need to mail it well ahead of time to make sure it will be there when you need it.

Figure out how much fuel you'll need, add a fudge factor, and just take that.  I way overestimated (probably because I couldn't eat as much as planned) so I was carrying more than I needed.  But a hot breakfast cannot be overrated.

Don't stop to cook lunch or you might end up hiking in the dark.  Bring a headlamp and spare batteries. ;)

Know your water needs.  Bring a good filter and a camelbak, mine was 3 liters which was enough except for one time.  Usually I would pass more than one water source before my water ran out during the hike  I also brought a 5 liter collapsible container to hold water at camp, I found it very useful.  I could filter enough for cooking and to fill up the camelbak the next morning.  There is a lot of water along the trail so it is generally not a problem.

Expect to hike in the rain.  It was beautiful the whole time I was there with the exception of the last day (Sep 22nd I think), but it's not always like that.  I've heard of people who hiked it when it rained every day.

There are a couple of days when gators were a really big help - they're light enough I think it's worth bringing them.  On another hike when I didn't have them and walked through a similar area (wet leafy plants overhanging the trail) my socks got super wet and my heels blistered and tore, but I didn't feel it until later and then it really hurt to put my boots back on the next day.

Long pants with zip off legs to make shorts are great - for me it was often chilly in the morning and hot later in the day, and taking boots off to change into shorts would have been a real pain.

Get current trail maps and pay attention.  The trail is very well marked and not especially precarious.  If it seems iffy, backtrack a bit and look around, you may have missed where they rerouted it.

Don't sweat the glacier crossing after Summerland, follow the footprints and it'll be fine.  Use the toilet at Indian Bar, the view is amazing.

Like I said, it is generally very safe so there isn't much to worry about if you take the usual precautions.  Relax and have fun.  And bring a camera, it's beautiful! ;D

As always, take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints. ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2011, 12:15:04 pm »
Never really did too much hiking (more of a water person) but exploring the appalachians in NJ was always fun. The most memorable time was hiking at the Delaware Water Gap during the winter and finding a totally frozen waterfall. It was like looking at a photo, I've never seen anything like it. We climbed to the top and sat on the ice and ate our lunch looking out over the small river below, it was a fantastic moment, something i'll never forget.