Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bucket List  (Read 5864 times)

Offline WDE97

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lewiston, ID
Re: Bucket List
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2011, 02:08:32 pm »
I'll be hiking the Wonderland Trail this September. Can't wait!!  Just have to stop drinking so much homebrew...  ;) 
Tom, any pointers/lessons learned from your trip?
Sorry this is so long, feel free to ask questions.  I might not have the answers, but I can try. ;)

Thanks Tom!! I'm pretty experienced, but have never done anything this long (mostly up to 7-8 days), or in that rainy of an environment.  Your tips and suggestions are all greatly appreciated!!
Robert H.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.    - Steven Wright

On tap: Strong Scotch Ale, RIS, ESB, Saison.

Fermenting: Belgian Dark Strong, Kolsch.

Up next: Bock, NEIPA, Brett Saison

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2011, 09:57:05 pm »
I taught myself how to play the drums by going out and buying a kit. A local music shop was going out of business because of some IRS problems and everything was dirt cheap. I got an excellent drum kit for like $250. It barely fit in my car.

I went home, set it up and put on some AC/DC. When i could play every song from Back in Black, I moved to Billy Squier, The Police, Zeppelin, then right to Yes and Rush. About a year later my neighbor was home from college and heard me playing Rush and came over to ask me where I studied and was dumbfounded that i was self-taught. He had been playing drums since he was 10 yrs old and went to school for it in NYC. (He currently owns a Drum School) Always thought that was a great compliment.

I still can't read a single note of drum sheet music but i can play anything i hear.

Just do it!

Check with beersk he is the pro drummer, I'm sure he has some tips!

Offline fatdogale

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2011, 07:58:52 pm »
That's very cool!  How long have you been playing?

I've been playing for about 20 yrs now, maybe a bit more. I havent owned a kit in quite some time do to space contraints but once i move into a new house its a priority to get a small kit, after the home brewery is setup of course!

Part of my problem is I don't want to learn to play, I want to play like I've been playing for 20 years (picturing the look on my wifes face (and my two teenaged daughters faces) as I haul a kit into the basement and announce that I'm teaching myself to play - priceless)!  I turned 50 this year...as a present to myself I should prolly look into a drum school to see if it's something I really want to pursue.
John Childs

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2011, 11:46:58 am »
My wife and I are going to Maine for 2 weeks, something we've always wanted to do but never took the time.  We always spend our vacations with either hers or mine family, but for our 30th anniversary it's all about us this time.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2011, 12:08:11 pm »
My wife and I are going to Maine for 2 weeks, something we've always wanted to do but never took the time.  We always spend our vacations with either hers or mine family, but for our 30th anniversary it's all about us this time.

Enjoy!!!  Maine is awesome.  Portland is a good beer city too.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2011, 01:03:49 pm »

Enjoy!!!  Maine is awesome.  Portland is a good beer city too.
Happy Anniversary.  That's a long time for anything! 
Not too far away is Porstmouth, N.H., also a good beer town. 
Try to get to Ebenezers http://www.ebenezerspub.net/ way out in the country if you can.  Call first, though, because it was closed when we finally got there last Fall.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2011, 01:50:56 am »
Maybe some time with Mr. Nate with some girl friends and a powdery white substance on their backsides. With plenty of liquids. You don't want to be dehydrated, do ya!

No fighting dickcycles involved.

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2011, 03:18:09 am »
Reading the boards late at night can be pretty entertaining.   :o 

Living in the last time zone has its advantages...   ;)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907