Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dunkelweizen...Sulfur...Carbonation  (Read 1584 times)

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
Dunkelweizen...Sulfur...Carbonation
« on: June 01, 2011, 03:26:40 am »
I posted about this dunkelweizen during the fermentation period because the yeast was producing strong sulfur aroma, and I was taken by surprise.  Now that the beer has finally been kegged and carbed after a two week fermentation period, the sulfur aroma is still present, but definitely not as strong as during fermentation.  Aside from this, the flavor is quite good with clove phenolics.

Two questions.

Will the sulfur dissipate completely?  How soon?

I kept the keg under 25psi for 72 hours.  Is this long enough for this style beer?  I notice that the head is not as massive or long lasting as weizens that I've bottled.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Dunkelweizen...Sulfur...Carbonation
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 06:39:01 am »
What temp was the keg?  CO2 pressure needed for a certain volume of CO2 is temp-dependent.  I'd cool it and keep it at that pressure, that ought to give you more head.  Also you can swirl/shake the keg to get the CO2 in quicker, or just wait about a week for full carbonation via the set it and forget it method.

I would also consider bleeding some CO2 off with the pressure relief valve to try and blow out some of the sulfur left from fermentation.  It may never go away completely but you ought to be able to get rid of most of it.  I've had weizen yeasts throw sulfur on me before and it has never ruined a beer although it can be distracting once you are aware it is there.

Good luck, I'm currently enjoying a fresh dunkelweizen and a hefeweizen that I bottled a week or so ago.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
Re: Dunkelweizen...Sulfur...Carbonation
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 12:52:14 pm »
+1 on trying to scrub the sulfur out of solution. Most sulfur compounds in beer are fairly volatile and will dissipate with time, but scrubbing them out seems like a good idea. My guess is that it could take a couple of months for the sulfur to settle down otherwise, depending on storage temperature and exposure to air.

German wheat & rye beers typically have fairly high CO2 levels ~ 3.75 - 4.75 volumes of CO2. More important, though, is getting a good pour. If your system gives you nothing but foam at higher CO2 levels then screw tradition.