Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop Drying with a Food Dehydrator  (Read 12236 times)

Offline Dave King

• Cellarman
    • BIER Website
Hop Drying with a Food Dehydrator
« on: May 27, 2011, 03:08:44 pm »
My wife just bought a Dehydrator and Jerky Maker.  It's got 4 trays, and will reportedly heat to 95F.  I normally hoist hops on window screens up into the garage roof rafters for drying my home grown Cascades and Fuggles, but the dehydrator might work.  I'm wondering if it's 4 trays are not much room.  Anyone have experience with one?   --  Dave
Dave King, President of BIER

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
Re: Hop Drying with a Food Dehydrator
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 04:20:52 pm »
I've been drying my hops in one for years. It works great and it's fast.

Offline Dave King

• Cellarman
    • BIER Website
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 06:00:52 pm »
So Thirsty, do you think it retains the light oils we want for dry hopping?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 07:58:38 am »
Dave, I've been using one to dry hops for 10+ years.  I've found it works well, but you have to experiment with time and temps and how much to put in it.  My biggest problem with it is capacity.  I bought some extra trays so I've got 6 now, but I harvested 27 lb. of wet hops last year.  It takes a while to get them all through the dehydrator.  I pick enough to fill it up every day for about 2 weeks.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Dave King

• Cellarman
    • BIER Website
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 09:24:24 am »
OK, thanks Denny.  I'll just have to try the dehydrator.  I usually pick mine over a few weeks, too.  My garage rafter setup works pretty well, and without any electricity, so if the weather cooperates, I'll probably rely mostly on the garage rafter setup, but if it's rainy, the dehydrator sounds like a good option. 

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 09:25:36 am »
Any reason not to just freeze them and use them whole?  (I'm sure there is, or y'all wouldn't be drying them...)
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline Dave King

• Cellarman
    • BIER Website
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 09:09:32 pm »
The "Big boys" tell me, it's best to dry them before freezing, for best storage.

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 09:41:03 pm »
The other thing I've noticed is that each dehydrator is slightly different so what works time wise on one will not work on another. I've used the hops I've dried on them for dry hopping many times and it seems to be fine.