Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP 670 American Farmhouse blend  (Read 13051 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: WLP 670 American Farmhouse blend
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 01:13:12 am »
Hey, who doesn't love mouse urine? ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 02:55:51 pm »
I've got mouse urine all down the side of my hockey bag, perhaps you can come lick it off.  ;D  (Freakin' mouse took up residence in a box on a ledge above my bag...)
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 01:49:41 am »
No thanks ;D

I used to have a mouse problem in my garage, I found a dead one in a jacket once (that promptly went in the trash).  I set out a lot of traps, caught 3 in one night once, and 12 inside of two weeks.  When we got a new furnace I found and plugged the whole where they were coming in, now we go months without them figuring out how to get in there.  i'm thinking I need to pull everything out this summer and seal all of the holes.  Little bastards.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 05:58:14 pm »
Freakin bastards is right.  I've got at least one that is evading my traps and stealing the bait.  I have two of those ultrasonic doohickeys out there and that worked for a while (as evidenced by the traps staying baited and unsprung), but I just saw one the other day climbing my pegboard.  And now the bait has disappeared from my traps again.  Freaking bastards.
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 06:05:13 pm »
I ended up catching a shrew in one of the traps.  I couldn't figure out how it kept getting away wit hthe peanut butter, I figured it was a little mouse that was too light.  I was right, just not that it was a mouse.  :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Steve

• Assistant Brewer
  • Been there, done that. And now I've returned
    • Kettle and Cask Beer Blog
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2011, 09:43:02 am »
This strain sounds great. Except for the mouse urine.

It must have been introduced after the spring of 2009 since I never saw it on the White Labs order sheet when I last worked for a LHBS.
Steve

"Because beer is food: in cooking, at the table and by the glass. " Lucy Saunders

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 09:24:22 pm »
I'm pretty sure this is the first go 'round... right?  No one seems to have any experience with it anyway.
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline Steve

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2011, 09:22:03 am »
@whitelabs twitter post states "NEW STRAIN- WLP670 American Farmhouse yeast. Inspired by a local San Diego #brewery. Get the perfect amount of sournesss. Check your LHBS" and the White Lab page for WLP 670 states "...It consists of a traditional farmhouse yeast strain and Brettanomyces." 
Steve

"Because beer is food: in cooking, at the table and by the glass. " Lucy Saunders

Offline Steve

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2011, 09:24:56 am »
Question: Do you have to have separate fermentation equipment for Brett fermentation or is that for bacterial strains?
Steve

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2011, 01:44:47 pm »
Question: Do you have to have separate fermentation equipment for Brett fermentation or is that for bacterial strains?
If you ferment in stainless or glass, you don't need separate stuff for anything including bacteria.  If you're using plastic, it is prudent to have dedicated stuff.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2011, 02:58:13 pm »
And what about Better Bottle's? Plastic that's supposed t be as good as glass...
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2011, 11:05:07 pm »
Plastic scratches too easily.  I wouldn't trust it, but I haven't tested it either.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Steve

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2011, 06:37:18 am »
If you ferment in stainless or glass, you don't need separate stuff for anything including bacteria.  If you're using plastic, it is prudent to have dedicated stuff.

Thanks.  I got plenty of tubing to dedicate and SS racking canes.
Steve

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2011, 10:26:50 pm »
Has anyone heard any feedback about this yeast yet?  I would think someone has at least gotten enough info to tell us some fermentation time.
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection