Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chilling a conical  (Read 1472 times)

Offline mxstar21

• Cellarman
Chilling a conical
« on: May 30, 2011, 04:43:12 am »
I want a conical fermenter.

Anybody have any tips?  My garage is normally around 85-90 degrees.  Gotta love Hawaii! ;)

I was thinking of using my old immersion chiller, and installing it inside the conical and pump cold water through the chiller.  I would hook up a temperature controller to the pump and install the probe into the conical.   The pump will be in a cooler with water, and I will rotate frozen water bottles.  I am pretty good at fabricating things, so I am not worried about installing the probe or chiller and causing sanitation issues.

My idea is kinda from the mash re-circulation concept for the RIMS or HERMS systems.  (at least my understanding).

Will the cold water circulating through the fermenting beer cause any problems?

Please give me some ideas or thoughts to my potential future project. Thanks!

Offline stlaleman

• Assistant Brewer
    • Penrose Picobrewery
Re: Chilling a conical
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 04:58:57 am »
I use this concept all the time in my Brewroom. Currently using a 20 foot length of 1/4 inch stainless tubing (read to many things about copper giving beer an off flavor post fermentation). I'm pumping a week glycol solution thru them in a homemade chiller (old window AC and a 30 quart cooler) This is able to keep at present 30 gallons of beer at 65 in a 80 degree room with no problem. Go to brewhemoth.com to see the chiller.

Offline mxstar21

• Cellarman
Re: Chilling a conical
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 05:10:39 am »
Sounds great!  Thanks for the tip about using stainless.  I have heard copper can give off minerals.  Glad to hear this method works well!  The brewhemoth thing is exactly what I was thinking.  I imagine shipping to my location will be way too steep to get their conical and chiller.  I am thinking of going with one from conical-fermenter.com and making my own chiller.  They have seem to have the most reasonable shipping prices for me.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 05:16:52 am by mxstar21 »