Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast still good?  (Read 1344 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Yeast still good?
« on: May 30, 2011, 09:23:38 pm »
I racked a beer to the keg on Friday but I didn't have time to do anything about rinsing the yeast for re-use.  It's been sitting in the carboy with a little bit of beer over it since Friday.  I put the plug back in covered it with aluminum foil.  Is there any reason I can't still use it?  There's no indication of mold or anything so I'm hoping to rinse it tomorrow and split it for 2-5 gal batches.  Mr. Malty says I need about 125 ml of slurry and there should be more than enough for two carboys but I didn't get it into the fridge when I should have so I'm not sure what to do.  

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Yeast still good?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 11:10:07 pm »
It ill be fine.  Pitch a little extra if you're worried about viability.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
Re: Yeast still good?
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 11:13:06 pm »
+1 on that.

If it doesn't  smell "rubbery" and autolyzed, just go ahead and use it .  The usual 1/3 of the saved yeast per batch should do it, or split it half and half as you indicate  (I've found that 1/3 is always plenty). 
However, if you don't brew right away with it, do get it into the fridge.

As far as rinsing the yeast goes,  I wouldn't even worry about that, either...I've brewed with saved yeast that was rinsed and saved yeast that was not rinsed and there was absolutely no difference in quality  (even after using unrinsed yeast saved in the fridge for a month or more). 

So I don't  bother with the rinse cycle at all. ;D
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971