Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Backsweetening mead (chemical / additive question)  (Read 2453 times)

Offline nofunsally

• Cellarman
Backsweetening mead (chemical / additive question)
« on: May 30, 2011, 02:19:04 pm »
Hello,
I have a question about backsweetening my first mead.

Brief Details:
10 Jan 11 - 1 gallon of honey with ~3 gallons of water, 1.116 OG
16 Feb 11 = racked, 1.001 FG

I have campden tablets (sodium metabisuphite, 1 tablet/USG = 150 ppm total SO2) and potassium sorbate.  I have read about backsweetening and most suggest using both.  However, since fermentation has stopped can I just use the potassium sorbate?  I have never used either of these chemicals. Can I expect a flavor contribution?

I plan on bottling it and keeping it still.

Thanks,
Mike

Offline stlaleman

• Assistant Brewer
    • Penrose Picobrewery
Re: Backsweetening mead (chemical / additive question)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 02:50:20 pm »
Too much sorbate will add a flavor. I'd go with the campden tablets and let sit in a secondary for a month before bottling at least for clarity issues if nothing else.

Offline nofunsally

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 03:51:27 pm »
Hello,
Thanks for info. Would you add the campden and let it sit for another month in secondary? Its clear now.

Cheers,
Mike

Offline roxanne

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 07:40:18 pm »
I've had more luck with back-sweetening by making a small amount of a very sweet mead, and then blending (vs. just adding more raw honey).  I'll make a gallon or 2 of mead starting at a very high gravity (1.140+) and letting it ferment.  The - experiment with a small amount to find the blend that works the best.  It's best using the same type of honey - but it can work OK otherwise - just takes a bit of checking before blending the full batch to make sure.  Start with 1/4-3/4, half & half, and 3/4-1/4 to see what will give the taste you are looking for.
Without the light, it is the brightest.

Roxanne Westendorf
Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati
www.bloatarian.com