Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First time mead, very tart!  (Read 3005 times)

Offline jivetyrant

• Assistant Brewer
First time mead, very tart!
« on: July 11, 2011, 06:53:17 am »
So on the spur of the moment a few months ago I decided to try my hand at mead making!  I was at a local discount store and stumbled across 8 lbs of raw honey at and absolutely rock bottom price of $1.50 a lb!   I processed it using the low heat method while skimming, used yeast nutrient and Cote de Blanc wine yeast from Lalvin.  When I say it was "raw" honey, I really mean it.  (http://www.weebeehoney.net/)  There was propolis, wax and bee bits that needed skimming, and i tossed in some heather tips for good measure.

OG was 1.087, FG is currently 0.997.  It is extremely clear with a dense yeast cake, I had used bentonite to fine about a month ago.  It is extremely crisp and dry, but has a very strong, tart flavor.  I wouln't call it sour, but I'm the only one I've shared it with that really likes it. :p  It seems better at room temp, when chilled to fridge temp it takes on a strong waxy undertone.

I realize that this mead may have been doomed from the start because of my honey selection, but is there anything I can do to suppress the tart flavor?  I'd like someone other than me to be about to enjoy it!  If nothing else I can simply say that I've learned some important lessons, and I believe that my technique was excellent.

Thanks!

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
Re: First time mead, very tart!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 07:36:52 am »
Back-sweeten it (i.e., add honey).  Sweet balances tart.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline jivetyrant

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 10:53:58 am »
Thanks Gordon!  I'll rack off the yeast and toss in some campden tabs then back-sweeten to taste.

On an unrelated note, I've just finished reading through your book.  I am thoroughly impressed!  Even though I have not yet started AG brewing, your book gave me a much better idea of what it was I would be getting into.  I now feel much more confident that when I take that next step I will be less likely to falter, and will be much more sure of myself overall.  Thanks for keeping it so conversational, it was truly refreshing!

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 12:42:16 pm »
Wow.  What a nice note.  Glad you enjoyed the book and good luck with making that transition to all-grain.  If you run into issues, there are a lot of people here who will be happy to help you out (me among them).
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong