Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Boil time  (Read 5331 times)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
Boil time
« on: May 31, 2011, 08:54:08 am »
I read on another forum that you should always boil your wort 90 minutes. Is this really necessary or can I get by with bringing to a boil and going right into my 60 minute hop addition?
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Boil time
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 09:06:47 am »
A 90 min boil is preferred when using Pils malt. The longer boil volitalizes the DMS causing it to outgas from the wort.

A longer boil is also preferred with high gravity beers in that it will enable the production of melanoidins and will generate maillard reactions which enhance the flavor and color of the finished beer.
Ron Price

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 09:09:12 am »
Boiling for 60 minutes is mostly fine.  If you're using a large portion of pilsner malt you may want to go up to 90 minutes to drive off additional DMS precursors.  Or you may want to boil longer if your objective is to concentrate the wort down more, such as when you're doing a wee heavy.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline jwaldner

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 09:13:21 am »
As I understand the boil process, the boil time can be dependent on the malt you're using to eliminate Dimethyl Sulfide or DMS.  For an American 2-Row, a 60 minute roiling boil should be sufficient.  However, if you're using a malt such as Pilsner with a DMS pre-cursor a 90 minute vigorous boil will work better to help eliminate any DMS.

There are also many other factors to consider in your boil time but this is one of the primary reasons I use to shorten/lengthen my boil time.

Cheers!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 09:32:14 am »
99% of the time I do only a 60-70 min. boil, even with pils malt.  I haven't had any DMS issues, so I don't feel like I need to compensate for them.  Every once in a while I get crazy and do a 90 min. boil just to see if I can tell the difference.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 09:43:38 am »
99% of the time I do only a 60-70 min. boil, even with pils malt.  I haven't had any DMS issues, so I don't feel like I need to compensate for them.  Every once in a while I get crazy and do a 90 min. boil just to see if I can tell the difference.

I use a lot of pils malt and don't have issues resulting from a 60 minute boil either.  Having a good rolling boil and making sure no condensation falls back into the wort is good practice.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 09:53:33 am »
The one factor to consider with DMS production is cooling time. The longer it takes to cool the wort the higher the production of DMS in the hot wort.

As the wort is boiling, it is driving off the precursers used to generate DMS, so when the boiling action stops and the cooling process starts, the precursers are no longer being driven off therefore enabling the generation of DMS.

Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 10:03:39 am »
I use a lot of pils malt and don't have issues resulting from a 60 minute boil either.  Having a good rolling boil and making sure no condensation falls back into the wort is good practice.

I agree in that the intensity of the boil is a factor in driving off the volatiles responsible for DMS formation. I believe there is a correlation between the intensity of the boil and the amount of precursers that can be driven off during the boil which will inevitably impact the amount of time required to drive off the SMM and other precursers of DMS.
Ron Price

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 10:07:09 am »
The one factor to consider with DMS production is cooling time. The longer it takes to cool the wort the higher the production of DMS in the hot wort.

As the wort is boiling, it is driving off the precursers used to generate DMS, so when the boiling action stops and the cooling process starts, the precursers are no longer being driven off therefore enabling the generation of DMS.

One can wait a long time if the boil is long enough and intense enough.  I have been doing some 45 minute hop steeps after knockout, no DMS.  This has not been tried with Pils malt, but that should work too.

Edit - the pros have the wort in the whirlpool for a long time, sometimes it takes an hour before the wort is all through the chiller.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 10:31:27 am »

One can wait a long time if the boil is long enough and intense enough.  I have been doing some 45 minute hop steeps after knockout, no DMS.  This has not been tried with Pils malt, but that should work too.

Edit - the pros have the wort in the whirlpool for a long time, sometimes it takes an hour before the wort is all through the chiller.

I'm not doubting your results Jeff, nor those af any commercial brewers.

There are so many other factors to consider that could come into play with this regard (boil time, boil vigor, cooling time, fermentation, etc...) that it would be hard to nail down any one factor as limiting in a given beer without isolating one variable at a time in controlled experiments. Knowing all of the facts and understanding how they can be manipulated to produce a given result is a very challenging. It is known that there are precursers in the wort during the boil and these precursers aid in the formation of DMS under the right conditions. Eliminating and/or reducing this compound is process dependant.

I believe the best way to understand DMS and it's effect is to experience it first hand and then mitigate it by extending the boil or increasing the boil vigor and so on.  
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 10:41:14 am »
I believe the best way to understand DMS and it's effect is to experience it first hand and then mitigate it by extending the boil or increasing the boil vigor and so on.  

I absolutely agree, Ron.  I find that's true of most of the things about homebrewing.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 01:55:52 pm »

I'm not doubting your results Jeff, nor those af any commercial brewers.

There are so many other factors to consider that could come into play with this regard (boil time, boil vigor, cooling time, fermentation, etc...) that it would be hard to nail down any one factor as limiting in a given beer without isolating one variable at a time in controlled experiments. Knowing all of the facts and understanding how they can be manipulated to produce a given result is a very challenging. It is known that there are precursers in the wort during the boil and these precursers aid in the formation of DMS under the right conditions. Eliminating and/or reducing this compound is process dependant.

The boils I use for ales are a little over 60 minutes often more like 70-75 min., and vigorous.  I have also been leaving the lid off, and the hot wort still has vapor coming off.  Have not tried it with the lid on, but why mess with it?  The wort is at ~175F after 45 minutes (10 gallon batches) so it should still be sanitary.  Then chill it, transfer, add O2, and pitch the yeast,
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline troy@uk

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 07:55:05 pm »
The other issue to consider other than DMS is hot break.  I have heard that if your first hopping is @ 60 min, you may want to consider boiling for approx 10 - 15 min to allow your hot break to form before adding hops to insure expected utilization, so this would give you a total of about a 75 min boil.

This brings up another related question that I just came across.  I was listening to Brew Strong and read in Brewing Better Beer about late hop additions.  I made an APA with my earliest addition being @ 20 min.  The beer was GREAT!!!  My question is since it has no Pils and I am not too concerned about DMS, could I just do a 35 min boil?
Now there are fields where Troy once stood....  OVID

Offline astrivian

• Assistant Brewer
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 08:47:59 pm »
A longer boil is also preferred with high gravity beers in that it will enable the production of melanoidins and will generate maillard reactions which enhance the flavor and color of the finished beer.

So would you still boil for 90mins for a Belgian Golden Strong or a tripel or would it make the final color to dark?
Never trust a skinny chef and never trust a sober brewer.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 09:39:09 pm »
The other issue to consider other than DMS is hot break.  I have heard that if your first hopping is @ 60 min, you may want to consider boiling for approx 10 - 15 min to allow your hot break to form before adding hops to insure expected utilization, so this would give you a total of about a 75 min boil.

IMHO, its always best to bring to a boil, let the hot break thing happen and get things under control and adjusted before worring about hops and such. Too many things going on at once and you might get hurt or have a bunch of baked on wort on the outside of your pot to deal with. Start you timing with hops and such after things settle down. Nobody alive can tell the difference between a 60 & 65 minute boil.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee