Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Boil time  (Read 5289 times)

Offline malzig

• Brewer
Re: Boil time
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 04:23:35 am »
I made an APA with my earliest addition being @ 20 min.  The beer was GREAT!!!  My question is since it has no Pils and I am not too concerned about DMS, could I just do a 35 min boil?
I vaguely recall an experiment someone did a few years ago looking at shorter boils.  I don't remember much of the details, but IIRC he actually preferred the taste of the shorter boiled beer, down to about 20 or 30 minutes.  I've never tried it myself, even when I make hop-bursted beers like your APA.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 07:48:44 am »
A longer boil is also preferred with high gravity beers in that it will enable the production of melanoidins and will generate maillard reactions which enhance the flavor and color of the finished beer.

So would you still boil for 90mins for a Belgian Golden Strong or a tripel or would it make the final color to dark?

I've found that boiling lighter colored beers (3-7 SRM) for 90 min doesn't dramatically impact the color (based on a visual inspection using a color chart). I believe that by boiling for 90 min instead of 60 min, which is a 50% increase in boil time, can darken a 100% Pils Malt grist by 1-2 SRM.  YMMV.

I think the intensity of the boil may play a role in melanoidin formation which will impact color formation (darkening) during the boil. So by boiling with high intensity for a given time, this will enable more meladoidin formation than boiling with limited vigor for the same amount of time. This is my thoery as I haven't actually tried doing this.
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 09:32:06 am »
The other issue to consider other than DMS is hot break.  I have heard that if your first hopping is @ 60 min, you may want to consider boiling for approx 10 - 15 min to allow your hot break to form before adding hops to insure expected utilization, so this would give you a total of about a 75 min boil.

That's what I do.  Although I don't give it a set amount of time, I just watch the break for timing.

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 12:37:13 pm »
90-120 minute boil increases alpha acid extraction, which might be something to worry about if you're trying to make an extremely bitter, high gravity beer or are have limited amounts of bittering hops. Otherwise, you can just compensate for the slightly lower utilization rate by using slightly more bittering hops or slightly higher alpha hops.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 01:01:08 pm »
90-120 minute boil increases alpha acid extraction, which might be something to worry about if you're trying to make an extremely bitter, high gravity beer or are have limited amounts of bittering hops. Otherwise, you can just compensate for the slightly lower utilization rate by using slightly more bittering hops or slightly higher alpha hops.

Looks like almost no additional utilization past 90 min.

http://www.realbeer.com/hops/research.html
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 01:10:43 pm »

That is a true statement.  But you don't get much more than a 60 minute boil.

For a 1.060 wort,Tinseth from http://www.realbeer.com/hops/FAQ.html
Min       Utilization
60           .211
90           .226
120         .230

Around 90 minutes you start to break down more of the vegatative matter, and the Iso-AA can start to degrade into something that does not add to the bitterness.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!