Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NASA Crawler  (Read 6478 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
NASA Crawler
« on: May 31, 2011, 10:56:17 am »
I heard a story about this on NPR this AM.  Used to haul the space shuttle to the launch pad, it's the largest vehicle in the world.  Top speed is 2 mph, although they never go over .8 mph while hauling the shuttle.  Gets an impressive 32 ft./gal.!

http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/facilities/crawler.html
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
Re: NASA Crawler
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 11:02:10 am »
32 ft/gal? Is that the hybrid version?
Mark Gres

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 11:10:35 am »
It's a big honkin tractor!

My company has cleaned many of the lines on the MLP (mobile launch platform, a part of the entire crawler structure) over the years.  Some cleaned in-place and others at our facility.  As you can imagine, it's waaayyyy easier to clean the lines in-place than to disassemble/remove/clean/reinstall.  Here's a really nice picture taken a few months ago:

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 11:15:48 am »
COOL pic!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 11:46:29 am »
I wonder if they break really hard if the shuttle would topple over....I dont see any tie downs...
Phoenix, AZ

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 11:52:58 am »
In an interview with one of the 6 guys qualified to drive it, he said they always celebrate a successful trip with chips and salsa.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 11:58:43 am »
In an interview with one of the 6 guys qualified to drive it, he said they always celebrate a successful trip with chips and salsa.
wat!  No beer? ;D

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 12:02:51 pm »
wat!  No beer? ;D

They asked him if they were going to celebrate with champagne since this is the last trip.  He acted like he was offended to be asked and kept saying "No, chips and salsa".

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 12:13:02 pm »
They were used way back when to move the Saturn V (among others) which absolutely dwarfs the shuttle.
Joe

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 12:21:50 pm »
They asked him if they were going to celebrate with champagne since this is the last trip.  He acted like he was offended to be asked and kept saying "No, chips and salsa".

I wonder is those are the stage names of the "entertainers" with which they celebrate.

(Insert rimshot, here.)

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 12:35:47 pm »
Huge.  I remember seeing it on "Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe;" the "Bridge Painter" Episode (Season 3, Episode 14).

ccarlson

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 12:45:55 pm »
I'll bet it's driven by a little old, gray haired, lady. The same one I get behind every time I'm on 2 lane road.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 02:03:00 pm »
The roadway the crawler drives on from the VAB to the pad is made of river rocks.  I have a piece of one of those rocks (crushed by Challenger's rollout for mission STS-41C on it's way to Pad 39A) on my desk in front of me.

I collect rocks from places I visit.  This particular rock is one of my most prized.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 02:08:52 pm by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 02:07:43 pm »
I wonder if it has automatic parallel parking?
Dan Chisholm

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 02:28:28 pm »
Years ago one of the car magazines had an article on the transporter.  I remember that it was powered by a couple of ALCO locomotive Diesel engines. 
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!